We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOpenGL and 3D Libraries › Really jerky movement when moving camera over quad
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Really jerky movement when moving camera over quad (Read 1500 times)
Really jerky movement when moving camera over quad
Oct 21st, 2006, 4:18pm

Hey, I have a really big problem

I have a big image i split up in tiles ( <200 ) and that I want to scroll over in 3D with a camera.
Now what is really weird is that if I move the camera like 5 units per frame the movement looks extremely jerky even though the app runs at >100 FPS. It really looks like its running at 5 FPS, its not smooth at all.

I just made a demo file with one quad with the camera moving over it and on my computer I get "refreshing texture scanlines" ( i suppose thats what it is ) and jerky movement all over. Actually even the box primitive alone seems to move jerky. It gets a bit better in P3D, less refreshing but still jerky movement.

The test file is here:
http://www.dataclouds.com/download/test.zip

I mean its obvious that the movement will appear a bit jerky when it moves only a few pixels per frame, but is there at least a way to get rid of the "reload
texture effect"? Or is it  impossible to move a camera fluid over an image?

My computer is a new macbook with the shared memory intel card.

Thanks for any help!
Re: Really jerky movement when moving camera over
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2006, 5:18am

eberclouds, hey i wanna try your test file, can you repost in your server? thx
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2006, 8:05pm

One thing I've noticed is in P3D clipping of UV coordinates in polygons seems to be way out of whack. This causes movement over a 3D plane to look really weird in P3D, I think this was a known bug and I dunno if it has been fixed yet, but I just use OPENGL mode to fix it.

Another issue may just be that you're incrementing your camera movement wrong somewhere, perhaps losing information from an int to float conversion which tends to be a common mistake.

I'd look at your code but your files not there!

Good luck!
Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2006, 8:33pm

Hey thanks for your replies. The post was so old that i deleted the file in the meantime. I got around the problem by rewriting the whole app in 2d. looked loads better in P2D. also I dont like the automatic antialiasing on textures from OPENGL.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1