We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › need some help w/ xmlrpc
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
need some help w/ xmlrpc (Read 504 times)
need some help w/ xmlrpc
Oct 19th, 2006, 4:47am

I'm trying to get an app working as an XML-RPC client.  But I'm having trouble getting it to speak to a PHP implementation of XML-RPC on the server side (the incutio library, to be specific).  I've verified that the server works with a PHP client.

For testing purposes, the method in question just takes a string and returns an uppercase version of it.  I've tested it with PHP and Python clients and it works fine.

But when I use it from within Processing, I get this message:

Fatal error parsing XML: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: expected Element

I take it that this means the returned XML isn't well-formed.  I don't think this is correct, though -- it works fine with these other clients.  Any ideas?

A second question: I don't have a Java background.  Is there an easy way to serialize or otherwise inspect the contents of an arbitrary object?  I'd like to be able to have a peek inside the object returned by the XML-RPC call, since the remote method I ultimately need to call is going to return a bunch of nested data structures, and I don't have a very good idea of what they're going to come back as in Processing (hashtables, I imagine -- enumerating their properties and methods would be a big help, though).
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1