We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionEvents,  Publications,  Opportunities › Competition for Telic Gallery, Los Angeles
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Competition for Telic Gallery, Los Angeles (Read 1941 times)
Competition for Telic Gallery, Los Angeles
Oct 11th, 2006, 7:20am

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS, DEADLINE: 7 NOV 2006

http://www.telic.info/GamesFor5Joysticks/

I'm one of the judges. I hope to see some great work!
Please spread the word...

Here's some additional information:

In most Hollywood movies, the viewer identifies with a lone protagonist throughout a more or less linear narrative. There is a similar pattern in many video games - each player is connected by a cord to a single avatar on the screen. Individual heroes gave way to groups and crowds as protagonist in certain movies, like Sergei Eisenstein's Strike, and TELIC is looking for games that cut the cord - or even better - tangle it up with everyone else's cord.

TELIC already has all the hardware (like the joysticks), you would just write the software. The games don't have to have strong narratives or even resemble any of the games on the market today. They can be abstract, frustrating, totally fun, musical instruments, pointless, homemade. We are looking for submissions that wonder what kind of games are possible when 5 people with 5 joysticks are sitting in the same room, looking at the same screen.

We will be hosting a screening of selected games at TELIC Gallery in November in conjunction with the Mario's Furniture - Version 2 installation by Hillary Mushkin and S.E. Barnet. Games will be selected by Mushkin and Barnet, along with Fiona Whitton and Sean Dockray from TELIC, and Casey Reas.

Visit the website for submission information.
Re: Competition for Telic Gallery, Los Angeles
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2006, 5:01pm

Wasn't sure where to start a thread for submission ideas for this, so I hope here is okay.

My Architectris game engine I put together in a day. Then all I had to do was add graphics, so writing another game seemed irresistable.

I put Super Bomber Man and AStar together and got a Super Lightning Man game. I was wondering if anyone thought the concept had enough in it to be worth adding graphics, joysticks and power-ups.

[edit]
Okay, my bad. I've just looked at the docs now. No fire button Any chance of a work around
Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2006, 6:05am

Yeah there's no fire button -- one of the limitations of the interface is that there are just five four-directional joysticks.  I suppose you could work around it within the software (like two quick moves in one direction amounts to a button press).  Or even have only four players, with the fifth player's joystick mapping to the "buttons" of the other four players (making this fifth player very un/popular).  Maybe these modifications make the game too confusing for people to understand?
Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2006, 11:59pm

Any requirements on resolution?  Higher res could mean lower frame rates, which could influence design or choice of genre.  How about aspect ratio?  Need it be formatted to fit a 4:3 aspect monitor?  Thx.
Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2006, 10:49pm

Oh, oh, I got an idea. Smiley
Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2006, 5:09pm

Lowest res you can get on any projector is generally 800x600. Otherwise you have to alter preferences.txt to make sure the border on your sketch is black and the "stop" button is too.

Is this a laptop driven installation? That makes a big impact on speed depending on the make.
Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2006, 8:41am

there are no requirements for resolution.  in the email submission you should specify what you want in terms of resolution, if you have a preference.  the computer used for the selection and screening will likely be a mac mini.

with regards to framerate: of course it depends on the idea for the game.  fast, fluid updating isn't as much of an issue for text-based games, or for musical instruments; and maybe slowness is a possible source of inspiration; in other cases framerate can become a factor for playability.
Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2006, 4:29am

I have a simple game engine I've built, with a menu the players can choose a variety of different game mechanics. Teams, solo, 4 on 1, etc...

Is it possible with the setup for Telic to have choice like this for a particular game? Will players be able to set up a game before they play it? Or, will the games be running and have unchangable settings on a given machine?

I am thinking about having 3 different types of play settings for my game. So, players will have the option of choosing Game Type 1, 2, or 3...

Cheers,
tk
Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2006, 9:03am

The experience will most likely be something like this:  the game is running and a few people are playing (maybe 5, maybe not!).  A new player will pick up one of the joysticks and join in.  Sometimes someone will leave and be replaced by someone from the crowd.  Most likely there will be 5 people playing at all times, but that is not a guarantee.  There might only be 2,3,4...

My advice is that if there needs to be a configuration, this could happen at the beginning of a game.  For example, the RIGHT direction might select a choice, whereas UP and DOWN toggle between choices.

An even stronger idea might be if the variety of game mechanics is actually built in to the logic of the game: teams, pairs, solo behavior, etc. would be a consequence of the strategy of the game play.  This would allow for fluid collaborations and antagonisms to develop and come undone during the game, as opposed to defining these group dynamics in advance.  You know what I mean?
Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2006, 4:07pm

Are the judges planning to contact everyone who submitted a game, or only those that are accepted?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1