We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOpenGL and 3D Libraries › OpenGL and glGenLists
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
OpenGL and glGenLists (Read 679 times)
OpenGL and glGenLists
Sep 20th, 2006, 8:31pm

Hi all,

cause I want to display many polygons in processing, I want to use a precompiled list via glGenLists. Although I know that processing is not a full wrapper around openGL, this should be possible. I examined the source code of PGraphicsOpenGL and saw that fry is also calling the normal glVertex3f command, but before he is doing 'some' (actually pretty much) transformation stuff. So my guess is, there should be a way by
a) generate a list with normal glVertex3f commands
b) prior drawing the list via glCallList, call fry's functions like beginDraw and afterwards endDraw, so that the transformation is applied.

This would speed up my drawing very much and that's why I am really interested in a working solution.
My main problem is that I cannot access the PGraphicsOpenGL class to experiment, just the PGraphicsGL works, via (PGraphics)g), but this does not offer a beginDraw routine.

Has anyone experience with this object or fry, do you have an answer, this would be really nice.

Best regards,

Matthias
Re: OpenGL and glGenLists
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2006, 11:22am

I think your best bet is to try the proGLlibrary for processing, as I think that will let you do pure GL work without having to worry about things being munged.

BTW, GL draw lists aren't all that much faster, and GL has evolved a significantly faster ways to move lots of polygons around screen. Look up Vertex Buffer Objects and related things.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1