We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOpenGL and 3D Libraries › Don't Forget MD2Loader
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Don't Forget MD2Loader (Read 1390 times)
Don't Forget MD2Loader
Jan 11th, 2006, 4:21am

A great start: the promise of a Processing 3d Gaming / Virtual World Engine.

From the _Alpha_ Board:
http://processing.org/discourse/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Contribution_Responsive;acti...
MD2 Loader

Gone but not forgotten...

Re: Don't Forget MD2Loader
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2006, 4:46am

Heh, I saw that and was thinking, "Someone else made one too?"

Also kind of amusing because I actually started a little virtual world project over the summer in Eclipse that I just looked at for the first time since a few hours ago.  For some reason the textures don't load when it's running off the website, but try downloading the .jar and .html files to your computer and loading it in a browser that way:

http://marcello.cellosoft.com/java/thegrid/

Marcello
Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2006, 5:06am

I'm researching ways to create applications with P5's libraries.  I think it may require a rewrite of some of the underlying class structures, which would require an odd request of versioning for Processing, which might be the reason it is so delayed.  IE: That because its PApplet, it needs a seperate wrapper for Export PApplication... -- anyway.

Using an HTML file is not the prettiest way to package a JAR, but it works, and you could dramatically increase the filesize if it was a downloadable application.

http://www.idsoftware.com/business/technology/

MD2 is GPL or $10000 royalty free.  But it sounds like they might be able to work something out for far less.

Of course you are left with a question about level file formats; I think an engine could be made to create an RTS quite easily from what you have so far.  I think MD2s can be converted using third party applications and/or plug-ins for popular 3d software.  I'd like to work on your project; it would be nice to provide a generic 3d engine or perhaps even create an application from it.

Many newer machines run Java 2.  Most people download or get Java when they buy an HP Inkjet printer.

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2006, 6:39am

The project was intended as an applet, not application.  I'd use OpenGL if application were intended.  You'll notice textures aren't displaying on the applet version when loaded off the website, and as I just picked it up today, I didn't bother to fix it.  It would effort better spent on porting it to work with the latest processing.

MD2 is GPL but there's absolutely nothing special about the file format, and I only used it because there was a open source tutorial on loading the files and a sample model to mess with.  If you have original media content, it'd be just as logical to use a different model format supported by whatever animation package you're using.  If you're using something like blender, you can write your own exporter and make your own format.

I actually intended to make a bone/IK based system for the project in question, so animation would be disassociated from the actual model, the md2 integration was just for prototyping.

What exactly would you like to work on?  Do you have any of your own work online?
Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2006, 6:53am

I think writing an application in OpenGL / JOGL with Processing would be a wicked fast environment to work in, and loading MD2 files is just a step, but a nice one.  MD2 would be fine to use, or perhaps a format that supports skeletal animations.  I saw a bump mapping demo that looked nice too.  It would be interesting to combine all of these into a single toolkit, and use them to create games or simulations.  

I'm a big fan of RTS, and a project that caught my eye recently was NERO, a pre-programmed game similar to Origin's Omega tank programming game.

I've also taken a look at the P5 networking routines: and some of the PHP/web integration stuff.  It would be nice to create a shared application that could be a game.  I'm particularly interested in ways to integrate multiplayer aspects to these examples.

Multiplayer 3d Worlds and "Virtual Worlds" have been created in Java, but I wonder if Processing could be augmented to a point where it would be easy to create more realistic simulations than just particle systems.  Since we have two different camera libraries, fog effects, bump mapping and blur, why not try to combine/enhance these individual modules into one meta-module that could be used to support formats such as MD2, skeletal animations, applications of Traer physics library into a Newtonian physics simulation all in OpenGL/JOGL?

It would be a neat little package.

I tried downloading your MD2Loader applet source code but it does not readily function in P5 v99; I'm not sure what's changed or how it has been effected.  Perhaps you could shed some light on this....

;p

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2006, 7:27am

I'd just go through the lines it complains about and convert them to the latest processing functions...
Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2006, 2:12pm

Yeah if you change BImage to PImage and add a couple pixels[] related statements and change loop to draw, it works!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1