We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOpenGL and 3D Libraries › SketchUp + .Obj Loader integration
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
SketchUp + .Obj Loader integration (Read 1006 times)
SketchUp + .Obj Loader integration
Dec 20th, 2005, 12:19am

I'm starting a couple of personal projects and would really like to have workflow integration between processing and sketchUp... I have been exporting sketchup models as .obj's and bringing them in using the .obj importer library (very nice btw).

I don't necessarily need to do any texture mapping, as I am writing custom shaders and strokes for the project, but I can't seem to get the imported .objs to draw with a fill of any kind which is necessary.

If anyone has had any experience with this sketchup -> p5 route please share your wisdom.

p.s: I have tried various things today:
-I noticed all the ambient material values were 0.000 which led me to assume sketchUp doesn't deal with that at all... I went into the .mtl file and manually adjusted them but still get strange display.
-making sure all my textures are .jpg,
-i tried to look up what the tags mean in the .mdl format
  but i keep getting pages of scientific information for lyme disease.

anyway thanks!
Re: SketchUp + .Obj Loader integration
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2005, 12:26am

p.s: i was able to get SOME textures to display if I uncheck "export 2 sided faces" but then there are just several faces that fail to render at all in processing.  I'm not dealing with particularly complex objects.

p.ps: i have more time to work on this than i thought:  the best way to get sketchbook stuff into p5 is to check "triangulate all faces" and just go through triangle mode on the .obj importer...  not too good for texture mapping but that's not what i really need for this.  hopefully this will be useful to someone, I will post further findings as they occur.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1