We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOpenGL and 3D Libraries › 3D Self-Organising-Map
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
3D Self-Organising-Map (Read 1029 times)
3D Self-Organising-Map
Nov 2nd, 2005, 3:53pm

Whoo!

Okay, I'll admit it needs tweaking to run better. I'm pre-production posting because I'm chuffed it was so easy to move from 2D to 3D with this thing. It's a step up from the 2D version I set up so you can export a SOM to Illustrator. This version I intend to add an .obj export to. The SOM class should work from any old list of three dimensional vectors. There's already a method built into the SOM to export a vector class list.

I'm wondering if it is possible to extend the idea of the elastic sheet to an elastic medium. A cubic map. Worth prodding the code to see if it works I guess...

Update:
Code:

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

Oh well. This is on a G5 too. I'll Just have to fine tune it as it is.
Re: 3D Self-Organising-Map
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:47pm

New version

This version exports the net as a 3D terrain in an .obj file. The terrain exporter can be used in other applications (it is a rectangular field of quads that can be given any shape based on the array of 3D vectors given to it), plus once the terrain is imported you can smooth the mesh as it is one giant object.

The net can be set to learn slower by adding another 9 to the momentum constant in the SOM class.

I imagine I could parse an .obj file of points and set it to learn those. I may add such functionality.
Re: 3D Self-Organising-Map
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2009, 6:16am

hi. this sounds really intriguing and potentially really useful for something I am working on. Is your site still up and accessible?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1