We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
High Definition (HD) video (Read 665 times)
High Definition (HD) video
Jul 17th, 2006, 1:06pm

Hi all

I've been looking into processing recently as an alternative to using Director to write my code. One of the things I'm particularly interested in is using processing to manipulate video, both pre-recorded and live. For an installation I'm working on at the moment, I need to be working at high resolution, as the projection surface is going to be large and I want to maintain detail.

My plan is to play back a 20 minute HD video from hard disk, whilst running motion-tracking code on a live SD video input and using this to generate a matte for the HD video. I'd then be outputting the resulting HD resolution signal for projection.

What I'd like to know is whether you think the combination of available computer power and processing is up to the job... I can get hold of reasonably fast consumer machines - either a G5 quad with 8Gb RAM that I already have access to, or by building a bespoke Windoze machine (I have very limited Linux experience).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1