We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
wideangle webcam? (Read 945 times)
wideangle webcam?
May 30th, 2006, 12:01am

hi!
my first post is just a question.. hope I will also contribute answers in the future..

have anybody tried logitech quickcam pro 5000  with processing? anybody know the view field, or tried other usb webcams with wideangle, with processing?

thanks,
ruben.
Re: wideangle webcam?
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2006, 12:06pm

just a brief info, in partial response to my own previous post..

wrt the logitech quickcam pro 5000, somewhere on the web (not on the logitech website) i found that the horizontal view angle is 63 degrees..
eg, from a distance of 1 meter, you have a 1.23 meters wide visible area..

btw, i still do not know if the quickcam pro 5000 works fine with processing under windows, or if there is any kind of problem..

bye,
ruben.

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2006, 1:05pm

ok I post this juast as a maybe useful info..
I got the quickcam pro 5000 and tried it on different pc's with windows xp.. I followed the complete procedure of uninstalling/reinstalling qt and winvdig as described in the faq, and obtained a range of results: on one pc I could get the video using Capture camera and the video was ok, on another pc I could get the video but it was distorted and only green and black, on the third pc I just got the usual error 'problem connecting the video output to video renderer'..

so, i did not investigate further the issue, and moved instead to jmf.. i made some cut and paste here and there in some code i found on the internet, and got the video stream in processing perfectly, 30fps 800.600.. i'll post the link to my code as soon as i put some order in it, btw it won't be much useful: now there is the LibCV for processing that does the work of grabbing video frames with jmf (i still haven't tried it)..

finally, wrt the visual angle of qc pro 5000.. i read on the internet that the orizontal view angle is 63 deg, then i wrote to logitech and they told me it is 42 deg.. so i measured it myself, it comes out that the angle is about 52 deg.. very much fluctuating stats!

best,
rub
Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2006, 5:40pm

Are you sure the quickcam pro 5000 has a 52 degree horizontal viewing angle? (that's good enough for me, 42 isn't) I measured the quickam messenger and it only has 35 degrees. Philips does mention the viewing angles on its website so I bought a Philips SPC600NC which should have 50 degrees. I measured it and it only has 40. Damn. Has anyone got a camera working with a wide view angle? (I saw on the website of Trust that they are coming with a wide view webcam) Or should I stop looking for a webcam and look for conventional cameras and a capture card?
Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:18pm

I swapped the Philips for a Logitech Fusion. It said to have an 'ultra-wide' field of view. I measured it and its about sixty degrees. That's enough for my project. Creative now also has tree cams with an 'ultra-wide' angle (one promises to have 80 degrees).
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1