We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › spontaneous connection
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
spontaneous connection (Read 895 times)
spontaneous connection
Feb 21st, 2006, 2:56pm

I am working on a project called spontaneous connection where i am charting the courses of 20 myspace users. The data is based on their list of comments. It is an investigation of how these people interact with each other and the visualization will help understand how individuals in a web community "congregate". I started doing this by hand sifting through roughly 14,000 myspace "comments" it is tedious and prone to error doing this visualization by hand. I have no background in programming so any direction for this would be appreciated. I have my brother helping me parse the information from the myspace profiles. I need to know where to go from there.
Re: spontaneous connection
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2006, 8:05pm

If you want to automate the collection of data then you want to look at something that can iterate through the links and strip out what you need. In the case of processing that's:

http://processing.org/reference/libraries/net/index.html

With:

http://processing.org/reference/String.html

Then you need a means of storing the data you're collecting. The two main choices are a text file or a database (or xml, as a sort of midway thing, though for complex data it's usually more hassle than it's worth in my experience). Which you choose depends on the complexity of the data and exactly what you want to do with it. A database gives you a language through which to manipulate the data, whereas with a text file you'll be doing it by hand.

If you give a bit more detail about what you're trying to achieve and what parts of thta you're stuck on, you should get more help.

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 5:41am

I have chosen 20 myspace profiles in the charleston area, all of these people come from a similar network. I want to visualize their online activity as they connect with each other and other myspace users. The idea is that if each of these profiles were a point along the outside of a circle they would all be given an exact set of rules to follow, similar to conways rules of life. except these rules act like laws of physics in my imaginary myspace universe.

The rules for each profile (20 profiles in total) are as follows:
a) For every comment that you recieve you move 1 unit toward that person.
b) If that person is not one of the other 19 other selected profiles but lives within 50 miles of the charleston area you move 1 unit toward the center of the 'universe'.
c) For every comment from someone who is located outside of the charleston area, you move 1 unit out side of the circle (movement out is based on the center point referred to above)

Now if you picture these point like slugs they will leave a trail behind them showing where they have been. And out of the slow race to the current point in time one will hopefully begin to see certain profiles converge into smaller groups or even surround a more 'popular' profile. that is the basic idea.

does this help? i'm not familiar with programming, i am a designer. so i need to know, When i am choosing how to save this information, what is the difference between a text file and a database? can a text file be a database of information? thanks
Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:35am

Haha, I like the description.

Sounds vaguely like:

http://marumushi.com/apps/socialcircles/socialcircles.cfm

If you've really really got no scripting experience at all, then you'll need to take it step by step and build up.

I'd break it down like this. You need to learn 3 things:

1. getting data
2. manipulating data
3. drawing stuff to screen

You'll learn the foundation of 2 doing 1 and 3. So I'd pick either 1 or 3 and start playing.

As for databases/text files. You could call a text file a databse but in the context we're talking about them in they're different things. A text file would just be a list of values separated by a delimeter and spread across multiple lines.

like:

name1, valuex, valuey, valuez
name2, valuex, valuey, valuez

Then you have to read that in to whatever you're working in and parse it. So all the manipulation is manual.

If you use a database, you'll most likely manipulate the data through SQL (structured query language, I think). So you can do stuff like:

SELECT name WHERE valuex>valuey;

Which would return all the names whose valuex is greater than their valuey. So more is already done for you and it'll generally be more efficient and quicker.

If I were you I'd start off by having a play around with the net library in processing and seeing if you can connect to myspace. Then have a go at recursing through and pulling out what you're after.

Have a look at the HTTPClient example in processing (file>sketchbook>examples>httpclient). If that makes no sense at all then you need to do a bit of reading first. Read through the processing reference section up there ^ and google for 'object oriented programming'.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1