We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › geese
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
geese (Read 1725 times)
geese
Sep 22nd, 2005, 4:44pm

Him: I love the way geese fly in that v-formation - it's magical...

Me: Oh, I think they just have a few preferences for how to follow other geese, based on what the geese immediately arround them are doing. There's no leaders, they're all just followers. You can probably program that behaviour really easily.

Him: Go on then!

so...this is what I came up with:

http://www.scanraid.com/speakingincolour/geese4index.html

I'm very new to the whole programming thing, and this is my first Processing project, so I would greatly appreciate any comments, particularly ways in which I could tidy up my code.
Re: geese
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2005, 1:31am

Really nice project. I didn't expect it to be so realistic. Good job!
Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2005, 10:48am

Interesting.

Next step:
smooth out your animation. Make the colors nicer. Put some more documentation in there, and possibly alternative display modes :]

Good stuff. keep making new things!
Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2005, 3:24pm

I just wanted to comment that I really like the 8-bit look you're going for here. It's quite an entertainment to watch!
Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2005, 6:32pm

Thanks for your comments, it's great to get a bit of encouragement as nobody on my fine art course, including the tutors, has a clue about what i am trying to do. Can I assume that the code is tidy enough as it is? I know that geese runs fine, but i want to make a big thingy with several classes of creature running around killing and eating each other, parasitically infesting each other etc. and i'm worried about the whole thing grinding to a halt, so it makes sense to get my code as good as possible in the early experimental stages.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1