We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Springs World 3D
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Springs World 3D (Read 3371 times)
Springs World 3D
Jun 16th, 2005, 4:15pm

Hi all,

using processing (alpha 68 ) I made an interactive 3D version of sodaconstructor. Here is the link:

http://www.sw3d.net

I released it just a week ago. I waited a bit before to post the link here just to monitor the site traffic.

Here is the link to my old post in the "introduction" thread of the alfha board:

http://processing.org/discourse/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Collaboration;action=display;num=1063814266;start=150

Best Regards,
Marcello
Re: Springs World 3D
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2005, 5:19pm

Absolutely fantastic. This is a great adaptation, the physic engine just rocks as well as the use interface. Congrats !
I was wondering if it would be possible to see the creatures walking on a height map instead of a plane, that could be interesting Smiley
Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2005, 5:36pm

v3ga wrote on Jun 16th, 2005, 5:19pm:
Absolutely fantastic. This is a great adaptation, the physic engine just rocks as well as the use interface. Congrats !
I was wondering if it would be possible to see the creatures walking on a height map instead of a plane, that could be interesting Smiley  

Thank you v3ga Smiley

I think that it is possible to program an irregular  ground. But i should change the impact detection algorithm that, for now, is very simple (if z<0 then impact! Smiley ). Moreover i think that i should make some kind of ground generator.

Marcello
Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2005, 8:26pm

Really great effort Marcello. I think the features you've put in match soda very well. I was a bit daunted by creating a walker in 3D, or anything else - but its a very good visulisation tool.

I think that moving the camera and dragging the shape should use different buttons, e.g. right mouse button to drag the scene (if a mouse has a right button), so that you don't accidently drag the shape while rotating the camera.

The reflection is a cool touch as well.
Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2005, 8:57pm

Thank you Markavian Smiley

I was really amazed by the sw3d users. In few days they were able to make awesome models. Anyway they already are very good 2D constructors.

The mouse usage is a bit complex since there are a lot of things that it is possible to do with it. Moreover I had to maintain the classic sodaconstructor mouse usage during the construction of models so that new sw3d users can maintain their construction habits. Anyway i was care with the mouse programming. If you are rotating the camera view and accidentally you touch a mass, that mass will not be dragged on the screen and, viceversa, if you catch a free mass and drag it around the camera view will not change.

Yes, the reflection effect is cool and, also very very simple! It is enough to draw the model another time simply changing all the coordinate Z with -Z. It is also important to tone down colors.

Marcello
Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2005, 9:36pm

very very nice :] I like the muscle system used here too. What does soda think about this?
Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2005, 11:41pm

mflux wrote on Jun 16th, 2005, 9:36pm:
very very nice :] I like the muscle system used here too. What does soda think about this

Thank you mflux,

Ed Burton already know about sw3d in its Fortran version. After i tried to contact discreetly him but i hadn't answers so I'm not able to answer to your question.

Marcello
Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2005, 4:39pm

mflux wrote on Jun 16th, 2005, 9:36pm:
What does soda think about this

soda thinks this is amazing! congratulations marcello, you blow my mind.
Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2005, 6:39pm

Quote:
soda thinks this is amazing! congratulations marcello, you blow my mind.

Thank you very much Ed.

Anyway, to tell the truth, sw3d is just a little piece of your awesome sodaconstructor. Just a very little tribute to your original idea Smiley

Moreover I was able to program it also thanks to processing. Without processing i wouldn't be able to program sw3d.

Marcello
Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2005, 7:58pm

Very nifty, though I am not sure how keen I am on the color scheme (the yellow/green/red doesn't have much of a modern feel to it).

Any chance on seeing the source code for this project?  I am curious how you went about creating/moving 3d points with a 2d input (mouse).

Marcello
Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2005, 9:23am

cello wrote on Sep 2nd, 2005, 7:58pm:
Very nifty, though I am not sure how keen I am on the color scheme (the yellow/green/red doesn't have much of a modern feel to it).

Hi Marcello

Yes, probably you are right about the colors. I never have had a good taste for graphics. Nevertheless I got so used to it that i can't think to other colors.

Any chance on seeing the source code for this project

I would prefer of not for many reasons. First of all is that in the code there are links to the php scripts that manage the sw3d user's accounts in my web site. I made that scripts thinking to the safety of the user's data like username, password etc etc. But i can't be sure that they are really sure. Some spiteful guy could do a lot of damage. The second reason is that i'm just an amateur, not a professional programmer; so my code is disorderly, confused, abounding and so on. The third reason is that it is so long! Sometime i think that it is a kind of miracle that it works Smiley

Anyway i'm disposed to talk with you about each aspect of the applet.  For example about the physics, the mathematics, or also other tecnical aspects like your following curiosity

I am curious how you went about creating/moving 3d points with a 2d input (mouse).

Marcello

I did in this way: when you catch a free mass with the mouse and you drag it around, the mass moves in a plane that is always parallel to the screen (i.e. orthogonal to the direction of the view). In this way you are moving the mass just in a plane but, when you'll change the angle of view and you'll catch the same mass, dragging the mouse you'll move the mass in another plane that is not parallel to the previous. Altogether you moved the free mass in a 3d environment. Have I made myself clear

Marcello Wink

Reply #11 - Sep 4th, 2005, 8:57pm

beautiful.

ps. how did you integrate swing components into p5?
Reply #12 - Sep 5th, 2005, 3:49pm

minh wrote on Sep 4th, 2005, 8:57pm:
beautiful.

Thank you very much Smiley

minh wrote on Sep 4th, 2005, 8:57pm:
ps. how did you integrate swing components into p5

I didn't. I programmed by my own each object in that applet(*). I programmed classes for buttons, text window, scroll bar, etc

Marcello

(*) I read again this statement of mine and I have to say that it isn't entirely true. I used the Glen Murphy's fast text class (I simply added other few fonts) and I used toxi's class about cylinders (for the muscle's visualization  no 4)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1