We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Drawing with cellular automata
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Drawing with cellular automata (Read 2515 times)
Drawing with cellular automata
Jun 18th, 2005, 2:07pm

This is from a shockwave sketch I made about 4 years ago. The idea is to treat each vertex on the line as a cell, and each vertex will move according to the states of the neighboring cells... using dodgy algorithm + rule 30!

Quite fun to draw rough outlines and watch how it develops Smiley

http://www.metaphorical.net/form/winding.html
Re: Drawing with cellular automata
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2005, 5:10pm

I think you've developed a really neat drawing tool. The effects are varied and strange, unpredictable and interesting.

The difference between slow and fast movements make a huge difference, I like that feature.

It would be nice to see the line as you draw it, before it begins iterating new lines... also I think it would be nice to draw several separate lines and have them iterate in their own time. At the moment, if you draw a line and then draw another, the previous one stops iterating - making it difficult to draw over and over.

You could also have a setting where you draw all your lines, and then press a button to iterate them - you could watch the drawing grow, after penciling it out.

I think I noticed a bug. When you click and drag, the point where you first clicked is sometimes ignored. I presume you're only tracking mouseDragged(), perhaps you should track the x,y on mousePressed() for the first instance of a new line?
Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2005, 6:39pm

nice,i like it.
Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2005, 12:13pm

I revised it so that it now shows a line as you draw, and fixed the missing first-point.

The lines iteratng by their own time is a great idea... I shall overcome my fear (and laziness) over multiple arrays and counters Smiley

Thanks for the feedbacks and ideas!

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2005, 2:34pm

The starting line looks much better, but when it starts iterating its still missing the first link. e.g:
Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2005, 12:29pm

Good catch, Markavian! I have fixed the problem now.

Thanks for catching this bug.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1