We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › New version of Ess up
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
New version of Ess up (Read 1716 times)
New version of Ess up
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:45pm

Please have a look:

http://www.tree-axis.com/Ess

bound to be bugs, so please be rough.

also be aware that much of the syntax has changed.
Re: New version of Ess up
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2006, 10:09pm

It seems to work, but some of your names are.. misleading.

E.g. AudioFile.read/write.. you're doing the opposite to the buffer that you're passing as the argument, e.g. read writes to the buffer, and write reads from the buffer. Yes they're reading/writing to/from a file, but surely it'd be better to be using AudioStream.read(AudioFile myFile) to get data from the file and play it, rather than file.read(stream). It just seems a bit mixed up...
Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2006, 10:43pm

I guess it's a matter of perspective. After long talks with a variety of people I decided to separate functionalities completely into separate classes. Having read/write functionality in the AudioStream, etc. classes would go against this idea. I know it's a bit different from the way JavaSound does things, but to my mind that isn't necessarily bad.
Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2006, 6:03am

Hi Krister. I'm beginning to convert an old Sonia sketch to Ess, but even in your Input FFT example Ess ignores the audio input I selected in the System Prefs and only uses the built-in jack. I'm using a G5 and a USB mic input btw.

Is there some way to have Ess use a different audio input or the one selected by the OS?

Thanks! I can't wait to try out the new Ess Cheesy

ryan
Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2006, 11:59am

This is a problem with JavaSound: it doesn't look at the system preferences on the Mac. In addition, you can't get detailed information on specific input devices, just blindly toggle through what's available (this is a problem with Apple's implementation). I'm working on adding some code to let you select different inputs but am at a loss as to how to make it clean given the problems mentioned above. But I am working on it!! In the meantime can you use the built-in jack?
Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2006, 9:11pm

Aw man.. Apple's java implementation sure leaves a lot to be desired.. Yeah for now i'm just using the built in jack which works but isn't ideal Tongue

Anyways thanks for the hard work on Ess!

I wish I knew whoever wrote the OS X Java lib so I could show them how broken it is :\
Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:37am

They know I think, these issues have come up umpteen times on the Apple Java Dev mailing lists. Yet, nothing. 1.5 = virtually no change over 1.4. Grr. On top of that, they killed the CoreAudio JNI stuff with 1.3, so I'm having to reinvent the wheel to allow output to CoreAudio. K
Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2006, 3:34am

I am not sure if this has already been addressed elsewhere, but I am having difficulty getting Channel.getCurrentPlayFrame() to work as advertised. It seems to send me the exact same data as Channel.cue... is there some reason for this?

I am running a mac if that makes any difference.
Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2006, 5:48pm

I don't know if it's a problem with the computer I'm on or with Java or Ess or what. However, getSpectrum() is causing problems for me (or at least that's what the console tells me). It's confusing because it's not an error that happens every time I run the app.

Sometimes I run the app and my mp3 streams just fine. Other times, usually after closing the app window, making a minute change to the code and then relaunching it, it crashes and I get this error message:

Code:

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 65536
at krister.Ess.FFTutils.getFrame(_FFTutils.java:32)
at krister.Ess.FFTutils.computeFFT(_FFTutils.java:114)
at krister.Ess.FFT.getSpectrum(FFT.java:84)
at Temporary_6899_9323.draw(Temporary_6899_9323.java:35)
at processing.core.PApplet.handleDisplay(PApplet.java:1336)
at processing.core.PGraphics.requestDisplay(PGraphics.java:535)
at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:1152)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Here's my Ess setup stuff:

Code:

Ess.start(this);
daft = new AudioFile("hbfs.mp3", 0, Ess.READ, Ess.MIX);
out = new AudioStream(32*1024);
out.sampleRate(daft.sampleRate);
out.start();
analysis = new FFT(256);
equalize = false;
analysis.equalizer(equalize);
limit = false;
analysis.noLimits();
dampAmt = 1.0;
analysis.damp(dampAmt);

The statement: analysis.getSpectrum(out)
is what crashes the app.

Thoughts?
Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2006, 3:52am

Ah yes, it's happened to me a couple of times just recently. I think it is a legitimate bug and I'll get to it ASAP. Krister
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1