We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › Play MIDI file and get music notes
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Play MIDI file and get music notes (Read 2212 times)
Play MIDI file and get music notes
Dec 22nd, 2005, 12:26pm

Hi,
I am working on one project where I have to play a MIDI file in processing and get the music notes that are played. I looked the proMidi library but I didnot found how to load the Midi file. So if anyone knows or had already been working on the same project I would be grateful to give me some advice.

Tnx.
Re: Play MIDI file and get music notes
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2005, 8:40pm

Hi,

I haven't used the lib so far, but the site says:
"Mididata can be received and send by installed Midi-Ports."
So i guess it can't load files directly.
Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2005, 1:13am

Do you have any idea how can I load a midi file and use proMidi library?
How can I install MIDI ports ?
Tnx.
Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2005, 1:15am

In the moment I am working on the new promidi version that includes a sequencer I need more time for testing and documentation. I also started on MIDI File handling but I don't know when this all will be finnished.

In the moment you could use any software sequencer to play the  midifile and midi yoke to route mididata into processing via promidi.
Reply #4 - May 20th, 2006, 10:32pm

klm wrote on Dec 22nd, 2005, 12:26pm:
Hi,
I am working on one project where I have to play a MIDI file in processing and get the music notes that are played. I looked the proMidi library but I didnot found how to load the Midi file. So if anyone knows or had already been working on the same project I would be grateful to give me some advice.

Tnx.

Have you considered trying load and read xml music data such with MusicXML  It's something I'm looking into: http://xml.coverpages.org/xmlMusic.html
Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2006, 3:51pm

a student at my university used a tool midiToText to convert midifiles to textfiles. this textfile can be load into processing.
another possibility is to use jm-etude-lib. with Code:
createScore(yourdesiredname, "C:/midis/mytrack.mid") 

you can load midis directly into processing.

oops .. this topic is .. old.

greets,
hans
Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:36am

Hi,

If the midiToText tool comes from here http://jmusic.ci.qut.edu.au/applications.html then it is based on jMusic which is also the base of jm-Etude. After creating a score from a midi file you can use the methods getPartPhrases(), getPhraseNotes() to get the music notes of the midi file.

greets
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1