We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › New version of Ess now testing
Pages: 1 2 
New version of Ess now testing (Read 2727 times)
New version of Ess now testing
May 15th, 2006, 12:42pm

Hi all,

I just wanted you to know that I haven't abandoned the library, but rather, have just finished a complete rewrite and have begun testing.

The big new features:

1- audio input
2- realtime synthesis
3- streaming sound (no more loading a whole mp3 into memory)

(The nice thing of course is that unlike Flash you get access to the sound data when you stream files, so you can manipulate it as you see fit.)

4- internal representation of sound data is floating point, allowing for new output features like soft clipping.

5- streaming output of realtime synthesis to a file

Filters and generators (and the FFT methods) have been rewritten as separate classes that can operate on Channels, realtime synthesis objects, or float arrays.

All filters can operate on data in place or output to a separate buffer, Channel, etc. You can specify wet/dry for all filters.

All bugs I know of with the old Ess have been squashed (along with a bunch more discovered during the rewrite). This includes weird saving problems and issues loading sounds from an applet/Application. So if there's something you haven't told me about, please write.

(Of course there will inevitably be new bugs, so I'll be testing a bit before release. And finishing rewriting the docs.)

Regards,
Krister
Re: New version of Ess now testing
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2006, 3:46pm

yay!
Reply #2 - May 15th, 2006, 8:09pm

Yayyy!! Thanks Krister! Finally live sound input for Intel Mac!
Reply #3 - May 15th, 2006, 8:09pm

I don't know if have been said but... I have feel that when playing sounds on the processing sketch, things go a little late. I mean, if you have:

void keyPressed(){
   sound.play();
}
Sound starts playing like 0.3~0.6 sec late. The same code exported to applet plays inmediatly...

Maybe it's paranoia, but i don't think so...
Reply #4 - May 15th, 2006, 10:04pm

Excellent news. Is it available for download yet? The version on http://www.tree-axis.com/Ess/ appears to be a few months old.
Reply #5 - May 15th, 2006, 11:16pm

Quote:
Excellent news. Is it available for download yet? The version on http://www.tree-axis.com/Ess/ appears to be a few months old.

I want to give people a chance to send me info on any bugs they may have found but are sitting on. (Plus I have to finish the docs, pages and pages.)

Check back in a week or two!
Reply #6 - May 15th, 2006, 11:26pm

ideAb wrote on May 15th, 2006, 8:09pm:
I don't know if have been said but... I have feel that when playing sounds on the processing sketch, things go a little late. I mean, if you have:

void keyPressed(){
   sound.play();
}
Sound starts playing like 0.3~0.6 sec late. The same code exported to applet plays inmediatly...

Maybe it's paranoia, but i don't think so...

That's interesting, but probably nothing I can control (latency is a JavaSound issue--I'm pushing stuff to the engine as fast as I can). Perhaps it's faster in the browser because it's running under 1.5 whereas Processing might be running under 1.4.2 or earlier Java 1.5 has support for hardware output so you aren't stuck with the nasty Beatnik engine.

Not this version, but the next version of Ess will allow you to render to other sound engines (e.g., CoreAudio on the Mac, etc.). This is a lot of work (esp. since Apple stopped supporting the CoreAudio JNI) but probably essential given the fact that JavaSound development is more or less dead in the water.
Reply #7 - May 16th, 2006, 12:29am

Bad news then Sad Anyway, thanks for all your effort Smiley
Reply #8 - May 18th, 2006, 7:21am

actually have browser incompatibility issues been resolved?
Reply #9 - May 18th, 2006, 9:51am

Browser export has been fixed, but you'll still need the Java plugin to use Ess. 1.4.2 or better is preferred as 1.3 is horribly flawed. IE's stock Java is pre-1.2 and won't work.

Audio input will work in browsers without having to explicitly sign an applet.
Reply #10 - May 18th, 2006, 5:48pm

Quote:
Audio input will work in browsers without having to explicitly sign an applet.

Just a note, that's a security risk.  There should be some kind of user confirmation to allow the applet to use the microphone, so nothing can be recorded unawares.  If you already have this (I haven't tried ess), disregard this comment. Smiley

Marcello
Reply #11 - May 18th, 2006, 6:33pm

It uses a similar system to JOGL export. In other words, users of an input-enabled applet will get a security pop-up, but people exporting won't have to go through the hassle of manually signing applets (unless they want to of course).
Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:44pm

when do you expect the new version to be available?
i am hoping to use live audio in an installation that shows on the 16th if possible. (i need JRE 1.5 for other parts, so i cannot get sonia live input to work!)i'd be glad to do some testing if it wont be released by then. thanks for your wonderful work!
Reply #13 - Jun 4th, 2006, 9:23pm

The coding is done, I am finishing the documentation now (about 2/3 done). Once that is finish I'll put it up. Please realize that there will probably be bugs (this is a  first release). Also, I haven't tested against 1.5 as to my knowledge Processing doesn't support it yet.
Reply #14 - Jun 13th, 2006, 3:50pm

When will this be available - and will it be compiled as universal binary for mac intel ?
Pages: 1 2