We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Processing as a library in a java 1.5 program
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing as a library in a java 1.5 program? (Read 2339 times)
Processing as a library in a java 1.5 program?
Sep 9th, 2006, 9:43pm

I have a program that needs to use certain functions of Java only available in java 1.5.  I enjoy using the convenience functions from Processing, as well as the ease with which I can manipulate graphics in Java.  From what I can tell in the Discourse, Processing will most likely not be converted to 1.5.  It looks like I'll have to program in straight java 1.5, but I am loathe to do that, as I will miss many of Processing's functions.  How can I treat the Processing core as a library for a stand-alone Java 1.5 application?
Re: Processing as a library in a java 1.5 program?
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2006, 2:59am

you can use core.jar in any java 1.5 (or 1.6, or 1.7..) program and it will work fine. you simply make your code extend PApplet and you're on your way. see the guide to developing processing sketches with eclipse elsewhere on this board for more info on the caveats.
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2006, 5:28am

Thanks, this is just what I needed to know.  

It would be nice to have the steps for using Processing with Eclipse and other IDEs in a more accessible place, like in a subsection of Reference, for example, since it sounds like I'm not the first person to ask this question.
Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2006, 6:13am

if you'd like to contribute by writing it up, i'm sure it would be much appreciated by everyone.
Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2007, 2:21pm

well.. if eclipse is just a front-end for java 1.4.x, then i'll take a crack at it and try to type up a run-down of how to smoothly add your PApplets to a java program in eclipse... cuz i think i have to in order to use some of the awt methods i am trying to use.
Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2007, 2:08am

Would this help? .. I've a small article on using processing with eclipse and 1.5 here:
 http://backspaces.net/hacks/29/processing-with-eclipse

I could add to this if it would help.  I'm also trying Processing from Jython, Groovy, Rhino/JavaScript, and JRuby.

Owen
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1