We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Load huge textfiles (> 200Mb)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Load huge textfiles (> 200Mb) (Read 580 times)
Load huge textfiles (> 200Mb)
Sep 4th, 2006, 5:56pm

Hi there,

I'm trying to read a big textfile into processing line by line. It's tab-separated strings, one record by line.

I keep getting the error message "Exception in thread "Thread-2" java.lang.OutOfmemoryError: Java heap space" when trying to use loadStrings() with that file.

The file is obviously too large, but is there a way to parse such files in processing? Is it possible to somehow stream the file, so it does not have to be in memory as a whole?

I set the memory settings in the preferences.txt and plist.info to 1024. I'm on a Apple G4 PPC-PowerBook, 2Gb of Ram. Running OSX 10.4.7 and Processing 0115.

Regards & Thanks,
Patrick
Re: Load huge textfiles (> 200Mb)
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2006, 7:08pm

You could use FileReader and BufferedReader to stream the file in lines.

Check out this site for information on using Java's IO classes:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/essential/io/

Marcello
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2006, 6:08pm

Hi Marcello,

Thank you very much for this hint. I got it working, it's now streaming and parsing basically. However, I still have speed issues...
I go through the file in the draw loop. Do you think this is a good idea? I'm drawing a graph-like thing based on the data in the file. And because of the file size I want to see (and probably interact with) the graphs growing. (dont want to wait hours to see if my code works Wink)
Any better ideas?

ps: this is all about analyzing the AOL search data collection... just for fun!
Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2006, 2:42pm

you'd probably be better off deciding something that you're looking for in the file, and filtering based on that. munging through hundreds of megabytes inside draw() is gonna make for a slow or boring way of looking at things.

i'd recommend picking something that you want to search for, and having a separate function that handles running that search and loading resutls into memory. then in draw(), you render out those results and make things move.

that data set is enormous, so you've gotta think about ways to make it smaller so that you can play with it.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1