We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › fonts appear differently on different OS's
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
fonts appear differently on different OS's (Read 648 times)
fonts appear differently on different OS's
Jul 26th, 2006, 11:04pm

When my Processing applet is viewed on a browser in Linux or Solaris, the font (Futura-CondensedExtraBold-14.vlw) looks terrible: the letters overlap one another and are difficult to read. The font looks great on my Mac.

Should I pick a different font? Is there a software fix for this? I thought that if I included the *.vlw file with the applet, then it would be fine on different operating systems.

Any suggestions?

Re: fonts appear differently on different OS's
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2006, 9:33pm

the issue is that if the font is installed on your machine, then it'll use the native font (which will be faster and prettier), but if it's not installed, then it'll use the .vlw file.

the best thing to do is to create fonts at the sizes that you'll be using them, and be sure to enable smoothing. sorry this isn't covered in the docs just yet, i have an entry written for the faq for it but it's not yet complete.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1