We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Processing without Applet/Create custom Components
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing without Applet/Create custom Components (Read 663 times)
Processing without Applet/Create custom Components
Jul 24th, 2006, 1:45pm

Hi @all.

I'm new to Processing, but familiar with Java and GUI programing. My task is to build up a complete dynamic Java GUI with reusable standard components, like lists, buttons, containers, sliders and so on (not the Swing/AWT/SWT components). This components will be very dynamic! That means: with lots of animation stuff and so on and dynamic content (changing over runtime). Therefore I'm evaluating the processings framework. It seems like programming such animation stuff is very easy and very performant / fast (i tried the same with AWT/Swing and SWT and I'm not really satisfied with it).

Is it possible to use the rendering engine / queue and the paint routines without the PApplet and without losing the easy to use graphics API? I want to build up my own components with custom layoutmanagers etc. For example I need containers, which contains other GUI elements (subcomponents). Therefore I've to call the paint routines manually for these subcomponents within the parent component. But I don't know how to manage this with Processing...

Would it be a good way to subclass all custom components from PApplet? Or could I easily get rid off these whole Applet stuff like AppletContext and AppletStub and the URLClassloader?

Thanks in advance
K4simir
Re: Processing without Applet/Create custom Compon
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2006, 8:30pm

there should be examples of this elsewhere on the board, but the basic idea is that a PApplet is a component, like any other, and you can use it as a java component.. use the "search processing.org" above and see what you can find.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1