We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Grassy Field Wind motion
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Grassy Field Wind motion (Read 703 times)
Grassy Field Wind motion
Jul 11th, 2006, 7:24pm

Can someone tell me how practical it would be to create a realistic moving field, in the hope of getting wind speed data represented on the grass ??

I am very new to this so have no idea whether this is practical or not, thanks
Re: Grassy Field Wind motion
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2006, 8:39pm

Hmm, I'm surprised this post went unanswered for this long. I haven't actually tried this mind you, but it seems that if your wind data is defined as a (dynamic) vector (or series of vectors,) the problem mostly boils down to defining a wave/spring algorithm to describe a blowing blade of grass, which seems straightforward (and fun). I assume some stuff you'd want to account for might include fall-off, based on wind generator position/direction, and some sort of blade resistance, based on (I guess) blade surface area? Of course if you're thinking blade-blade collisions, all bets are off.

A waaays back, I wrote a little actionscript piece based on a tethered node system, with a simple propagating wave that has some similar properties.  Hopefully this will still run:
http://iragreenberg.com/ira_greenberg_data/code/dam/index.html
Re: Grassy Field Wind motion
Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2006, 4:26pm

This problem really depends on how fancy you want to get.

The simplest solution would treat each blade of grass as a single vertical line. For low wind speeds, you could have the line tilt at an angle (with respect to the vertical) proportional to the wind speed, and pointing in the direction of the wind. This should be pretty easy to implement.

This fails, of course, at high wind speeds, where the response should become non-linear - with the linear response, the grass will be horizontal at some finite wind, and below the plane at some higher speed. You could use a simple function to approximate this - you'd need something that is nearly linear at small speeds, but approaches a constant (90deg) as the wind speed approaches infinity. I think a tan function might work.

If you want to get really fancy, you'd treat the grass not as a straight line but as a curve. In this case, you'd want to look at the physics of cantelievers. These are like springs, but respond to an applied force by bending, rather than stretching or compressing. The easiest solution would be to treat the winds as acting only on the tip of the blade. The most realistic would be to treat the blade as a full physical body, where the wind acts on every part. This is probably going overboard.

Good luck!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1