We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › jm-Etude { jMusic wrapper for processing }
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
jm-Etude { jMusic wrapper for processing } (Read 2854 times)
jm-Etude { jMusic wrapper for processing }
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:44am

Hi,

for those who want to compose generative, algorhitmic music or do something fancy with music data, there is a new library, jm-Etude, which is a jMusic wrapper for composing music with processing, it provides a high-level API to communicate with jMusic. The major advantage of jm-Etude is manipulating and analysing musical data with the support for musician with its familiar music data structure. Visit the library homepage http://jmetude.dihardja.de for more information and feel free to contact me if you have any question or suggestion

cheers Smiley

Daniel Dihardja
Re: jm-Etude { jMusic wrapper for processing }
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2006, 2:16pm

Hi Daniel, great initiative. I blogged it over Code & form. Am I correct in thinking it's heavily MIDI-based rather than sample-based

It would be useful to see some info on how to use instruments/sounds other than the built-in MIDI sounds, or if it's possible to use samples as well.
Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2006, 7:44pm

Hi watz,

thanks for blgging it, jm-Etude is not heavy MIDI based, it is just that for now the only playback function which is implemented is the jMusic midi playback. In jMusic the music data can be played and exported as MIDI or AUDIO and there are also libraries to build and use custom instruments, but I haven't implemented them in the wrapper yet, because I'm still working on the MIDI export which will be a feature in the next update (is still a bit buggy now).
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2006, 7:55pm

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Look forward to seeing new versions that allow custom sounds. It so happens I might be looking at doing some generative sound work over the next two months, so this could be just what I need.

Btw, the blog post was picked up by Create Digital Music, which should give you some extra traffic.
Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2006, 8:33pm

wow, thanks a lot for that, much appreciated ... I'll give my best for the next update ... Smiley cheers
Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2006, 11:44pm

I appreciate and salute your work to this point, and add myself as someone who hopes you develop the audio side further. Thanks and I'll keep looking in. Newbie Brad
Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2006, 7:25pm

Thanks .. according to the feedback I got, is the major focus of the next release definitely the audio sector
Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2006, 1:34am

This is great news for me. No, I should say this is a godsend. Unfortunately, I don't really have the time to explore this project right now, but trust me when I say that this is something we really needed in my atelier. Most of our sound creation is done with real-time MIDI composition engines (i.e. score-based), as opposed to sample-based systems. This allows us to plug our music machines into all kind of stuff (Live, Max/MSP, PureData, Gameboy, etc). So this is really cool.

It isn't clear from the examples, so I'll ask it here: how easy is it to change Parts while they're playing? Does that create any hiccups?
Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2006, 3:05pm

Hi,

nice to hear that the library could be usefull for you, the changing of parts while playing is unfortunetely not possible yet but i've put it on the 'next feature list' for now the MIDI playback method converts the pure music data from score part and phrases into a sequence then play the sequence
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1