We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › GUI library in progress, any requests
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
GUI library in progress, any requests? (Read 2577 times)
GUI library in progress, any requests?
May 21st, 2006, 9:09pm

http://wliia.org/projects/gui
this is the library so far, and i want to add more. Anybody got anything to contribute, or ideas for anything I can code?

thanks
-seltar
Re: GUI library in progress, any requests?
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2006, 1:06am

This is so cool, thanks for organizing and implimenting this work.  No requests, just hoping the good karma is paying off for you.

Peace,

J
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2006, 2:05am

Looks good so far. I'd just like to point out that on your Off|On switch, it is difficult to tell which is selected - if On is black, does that mean it's selected? Or is it selected when it's white?
Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2006, 7:48am

that button is based off Ants in exhibition, but I do see your point.. i'll to fix that somehow Smiley

and i thought i should try to keep the style, but i'll see where it goes. perhaps just as the default. we'll see

thanks for the kind words Smiley

-seltar
Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2006, 10:24am

A few suggestions:

Some shells for drag and drop items? Perhaps give the user the option of setting the graphic. I'm always having to write "draggable" classes.

A radial slider? Like the volume knob on one's stereo. I'd guess you would create a band or ring and highlight a segment of it to drag around.

Message boxes? Somewhat like the Javascript prompt command that some idiots key into the right mouseclick on web-pages.  Not everyone knows how to bring up the Java console to see error messages and warnings.

Radial / check boxes? Like on html forms.
Reply #5 - May 25th, 2006, 1:57pm

Updated alot! Let me know what you think..
http://wliia.org/projects/gui

still not quite finished.. lacking checkboxes, fixing the on-off switch.
The message box is draggable, and i'm going to implement that on all the other elements as well.. But now everything is controlled by a general style class, which has possibilities to change on different events.. (as you can see if you click and drag the messagebox)

-seltar
Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2006, 9:18pm

Again, very cool stuff.  Thanks for doing all this.  The message box is an especially nice touch.  

I am a new user, and very much hope you have a moment to document this with examples, becuase I would certianly strongly appreciate every word of documentation.  I'm sure others would too.

Can I ask why you decided to make the knob element based on mouse-dragging in the x-direction?  I don't know if a convention exists; I just wonder if adjusting it radially, based on the angle between the knob center and the mouse position might be more intuitive.

Thank you again.

J

Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2006, 2:47am

It seems there are at least three different projects for a GUI library at this point. I started what I think is the first, Interfascia (http://www.thbbpt.net/interfascia/), but I couldn't do development on my own while in school. It would be nice to combine efforts, I'm sure duplication of code is an unpleasant thought to all programmers.

I like what I see. I have a few things up my sleeve with Interfascia, perhaps a discussion of roadmaps for the different projects would be nice.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1