We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
writing my own tools? (Read 953 times)
writing my own tools?
May 2nd, 2006, 10:34am

hi ben,

is there a description on how to write your own tools for the tools-menu?

looking into CVS there seems to be nothing special to do ...

package processing.app.tools;
and
public void show() {
}

right?

do i need to package it into processing.app.tools?

thanks,
F
Re: writing my own tools?
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2006, 12:46pm

it's not completed yet:
http://dev.processing.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=124

so there's no means to dynamically load them or a set api. the show() thing is the current method, but it also requires that the code be added to the p5 source by hand. in the end there will be some sort of setup() method that runs as the tool is loaded, a show() method (probably called something else because Frame.show() is deprecated in 1.5.. yay!) and perhaps a hide() method that'll shut things down. if you think along that model then you should be ok for it working once i have a chance to finish the menu.

*do not* put the code in package processing.app. that's only for stuff from teh actual p5 distribution.
Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2006, 12:54pm

ok. thanks.

i'll keep you updated with my results ..

best,
F
Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2006, 1:17pm

just a thought. i think it would be a good idea to categorize the tools(*) ( online, search, format, ...). that way the menu could be structured and less crowded once people start writing their own tools ...

best,
F

(*)
for example: let people use one of / choose from a predefined set of types, like:
class myTool {
 int tool_cat = TOOL_ONLINE;
}
Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2006, 4:45pm

it's something that might be useful down the road but i'd rather wait until we see what people actually write, i don't like to create speculative api.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1