We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › good applet-website integration examples
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
good applet-website integration examples? (Read 1061 times)
good applet-website integration examples?
Apr 28th, 2006, 12:16pm

hi all,

i'm looking for good examples of applets being integrated into websites (html). both, design- and code-wise.

to give you an indea ..

ryan: http://onecm.com/archive/v1/

toxi: http://www.lateral.net/

thanks,
F
Re: good applet-website integration examples?
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2006, 3:23pm

btw. can someone recall that alpha-board-discussion about using processing / java as integral part in websites? ... i think it was something related to "all processing website", but i can't find it.

alpha-board search is off .. and the google search finds anything except what i'm looking for.

thanks,
F
Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2006, 8:28pm

ok. this turns out to be quite some monolog ...

let me ask differently: what are your opinions on using applets as interface-elements on websites? ... yes, i too hate those applet-menus.

java really had a good chance to win over flash some years back. this seems to have totally melted away (user-base, ..). but still it is as powerfull as flash in terms of features (except for movie-integration), so why is almost no one using it? ok, one reason might be "search-ablility" and easy acces for non-coders, what else?

F
Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2006, 10:23pm

I've yet to see a website that does it well. I think it could be done well, I've just not seen it.

In most cases, it seems to be that sites use lots of the same applet, or a few of a couple of applets, instead of one more significant applet that does lots of elements itself.
Reply #4 - May 4th, 2006, 3:20am

My personal opinion is that Java has too much startup overhead to be a reasonable approach to web design.  It can be used as a component of a website, but really only when it's a serious application, imo.

Another issues is version compatibility.  You really want Java 1.4+ (arguably even 1.5+) for fast graphics and interface.  People are more likely to download a <1mb installer for Flash than a 12+mb installer for Java.

It's a lot harder to get Java looking as good (as fast) for the things that Flash is good at.  On the flip side, it's hard to get Flash looking as good (as fast) for things Java is good at (3d or pixel pushing, for example).

Of course, looking at those examples, one might think otherwise, but my concern is still that Java is too "heavyweight."

Marcello
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1