We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware,  Documentation,  Website Suggestions › Processing and the graphics card ...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing and the graphics card ... (Read 562 times)
Processing and the graphics card ...
Apr 22nd, 2006, 1:44am

Hi Fry, Reas and all that are interested,

Processing is my first coding language, and I really enjoy working with it, because the syntax is nicely designed and easy to use. However, when I compare the speed of Processing with the cycling74's software max msp jitter (the opengl in jitter) I see that it runs the graphics about 15 times faster, because it is using the graphics card. (through C)

I know that Processing is using java and therefore is a multi-platform application that works on the internet and doesn't use the local computer's graphic card. However if I was to use Processing to run an installation with full screen res. and more than 200 objects on the screen, then I would have trouble with the speed of Processing even on a fast machine.

I don't know exactly how it works, and if it is even possible, but it would be really nice if there was a "plugin" for the processing file that could make processing run on the graphics card.

I can of course switch over to the javascripting in max msp jitter, but it is a much more complicated way to create graphics and I do prefer Processing.
Perhaps there are more people, who are interested in not only a web-application, but a fast application that can run an installation ...

Thank you for concidering this.

Best,
annemarie

Re: Processing and the graphics card ...
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2006, 9:42am

If you use OPENGL mode you should get some speed increase, and if I ever get off my butt for long enough to finish my OpenGL mkII library, you should be able to get really good speeds out of processing.

I've put an example up of what I've got so far here: http://www.hardcorepawn.com/Speedy/

Some ATI cards run it about 1/4 speed as an applet unfortunately, but it runs full speed if run from processing.
Re: Processing and the graphics card ...
Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2006, 12:10pm

looks pretty fast here on a dusty old laptop johnG! When do you think you might release it?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1