We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › java application vs applet general question
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
java application vs applet general question (Read 560 times)
java application vs applet general question
Apr 21st, 2006, 5:52am

I have written my first visualization in Processing.  It works great as a (windows) application, but when I bring it up as an applet in firefox or IE browsers with Java runtime 1.5 it says the applet has started but there is nothing on screen.

In the development environment I can tag code and watch the console for debugging purposes.  Is there an equivalent approach with applets that will let you monitor program variables even if nothing is writing to the screen?

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this question.  I am excited to find Processing, after working in Microsoft Visual Studio for years.  But I don't know jack about Java...
Re: java application vs applet general question
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2006, 9:49am

When it's running as an applet in a browser, there should be a little coffee-cup icon in your taskbar, if you right-click on it and select "Open console" you'll get all the stuff that's normally printed in processing's console.
Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2006, 4:52pm

Thanks.  This is what I see when I open the console:  It seems to indicate that nothing is happening because Sonia can't load...if "(jsyn_fourier_10_ac_scolor_mod_wht_mouseXY.java:9)" indicates line 9 in the code...that is the Sonia.start(this) command.

Exception in thread "Thread-6" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/softsynth/jsyn/SynthException
at jsyn_fourier_10_ac_scolor_mod_wht_mouseXY.setup(jsyn_fourier_10_ac_scolor_mod_wh
t_mouseXY.java:9)
at processing.core.PApplet.handleDisplay(PApplet.java:1263)
at processing.core.PGraphics.requestDisplay(PGraphics.java:538)
at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:1146)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/softsynth/jsyn/SynthException
at jsyn_fourier_10_ac_scolor_mod_wht_mouseXY.stop(jsyn_fourier_10_ac_scolor_mod_wht
_mouseXY.java:164)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2006, 8:03pm

The java VM that your browser uses needs to have jsyn installed, it doesn't get built entirely into the applet jar file like OpenGL does unfortunately.
Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2006, 8:16pm

Thanks John.  I tried to update my jsyn plug in and was thwarted by Sun's new install scripts, so I did it manually and still no luck.  I need to dig deeper into something here, but at least I learned how to read println() output in a running app.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1