We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Java 1.5 (Read 1071 times)
Java 1.5
Apr 9th, 2006, 12:20am

I just downloaded the latest Mac OS X Java 1.5.0_06 from the developer site.  It apparently is the first 1.5 release which sets the default java to 1.5 rather than 1.4.  I'll have to check around, but it looks like several of the java apps I use work OK.  Not sure what happens with browsers, but...

So I searched the Processing site and found that it was not recommended to use.  On the other hand, when I ran a sketch, it appeared to use the 1.5 default without difficulty, even with JOGL.  (The 06 release mentoned a bug fix for JOGL so possibly that's good news).

So is it looking like 1.5 is OK to use, at least for local Processing applets?

Owen
Re: Java 1.5
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2006, 8:21pm

as stated in the faq, it might be ok to use but it's strongly discouraged because of problems it can cause.

developer builds of java are generally a very bad idea as well, because they cannot be uninstalled (at least that's been the case in the past) and are pre-release software.

but mostly it boils down to 1) i don't have time to support it or properly test things with 1.5, and don't like wasting time here on the board debugging issues for people that have to do with sun and apple's bugs in 1.5. 2) you can't use 1.5 syntax in p5 anyway, so why give yourself the headache? 3) too many of our osx users are still on 10.3, which will never run 1.5.
Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2006, 8:10pm

This is now showing up in auto update so be careful out there......
Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2006, 8:18pm

yeah, ugh.. Undecided
Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2006, 2:51am

actually, let me be more specific.. i'd hold off on the update if you need to ensure that things will work. for instance, i've got a presentation in a couple days and i'll be holding off until after that to do the update.

at this point, i'd prefer to just support 1.5, but unfortunately 50% of our osx users are still on 10.3.x, which has no support for 1.5.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1