We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing in website? (Read 868 times)
Processing in website?
Apr 3rd, 2006, 8:07am

If I want to create a dynamic effect in my website, should I use processing or flash? What's the major difference between them?
Re: Processing in website?
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2006, 6:40pm

flash can be integrated in your html, whilst processing is basicly java-applets, which can't have anything over or under them.. like images from html, or text..

so basicly flash is better for dynamic effects ON your webpage, but you can make seriously cool stuff in processing, so don't rule it out as a sub-point in your webpage.. - my processing sketches - or something..

-seltar
Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2006, 9:18pm

Flash is not integrated in the html. As Java applets, Flash is embedded with the object tag. So in an accessible perspective are both crap. The big advantage of Flash is that it is much more diffuse than JRE. Another pro in Flash is that search engines are indexing static content in the file. So, my suggestion is that if you want to use P5, it should be for something that is far to be possible, in terms of performances, in Flash.
Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2006, 3:27pm

May be a bit off topic Flash vs Processing, but this is worth watching as another solution:

http://bodytag.org/excanvas1/

Glen Murphy does it again !
Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2006, 5:19pm

that's funny.. my roommate has been harrassing me to make a version of the p5 api that works with the canvas stuff. could be fun and useful for specific kinds of projects.
Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2006, 5:55pm

Well, you should obviously get Glen to do that as the next thing on his "20% time" list!

3D would be a pain though, I'm assuming the canvas element standard doesn't define a 3D context since the excanvas1 link above has pages of matrix manipulation and still uses ctx = canvas.getContext("2d");.

Still, it's great, and I'm already using it on our office intranet instead of plain VML for webstats pie charts and stuff.  One problem though - it doesn't print in IE Sad
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1