We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › platform problem
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
platform problem? (Read 657 times)
platform problem?
Mar 19th, 2006, 2:26pm

Hello
I am experiencing problems re: my Processing project running on different platforms, this was created on a PC/Windows and every thing works fine there but I am told that the applet crashes Mac browser. Have been advised this may have something to do with how the code has been written rather than platform incompatibility - Due to the fact that I am not a programming expert but an artist who worked on the ideas side rather than the code it is difficult for me to trouble shoot in order to make the project as accessible as possible
The applet uses directories of images with Processing effects (version Processing-0091)

If anyone can help or suggest advice I will really appreciate it.

The project page and link to code is:
http://www.sandracrispart.com/docs/processing.htm

email: mail@sandracrispart.com
Re: platform problem?
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2006, 6:17am

use a more recent release of processing. the problem is something that has to do with revision 91 (or anything before revision 93, for that matter).
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2006, 11:08am

I have tried using the recent version of Processing (As I wanted to convert the piece into a downloadable applic) but it interfers with the alpha there to make sure the images do not become drowned out with colour. It comes up with an error message to do with Java 2d not supporting alpha. When the applet is clicked, instead of bringing up a new directory of images the whole thing freezes & gives the error message. Is there a way to get the same alpha effect in the newer version?
Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2006, 6:12pm

i'm not getting any sort of error message on the most recent release, and the applet seems to run fine. can you post the actual error?
Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2006, 7:06pm

The error messsage is as follows

This line in the code becomes highlighted:

mask(pAlpha);

mask() cannot be used with JAVA2D

java.lang.RuntimeException: mask() cannot be used with JAVA2D
at processing.core.PGraphics2.mask(PGraphics2.java:1083)
at processing.core.PApplet.mask(PApplet.java:6006)

java.lang.RuntimeException: mask() cannot be used with JAVA2D

at processing.core.PGraphics2.mask(PGraphics2.java:1083)

at processing.core.PApplet.mask(PApplet.java:6006)

at Temporary_607_9687.draw(Temporary_607_9687.java:203)

at processing.core.PApplet.display(PApplet.java:1326)

at processing.core.PGraphics.requestDisplay(PGraphics.java:520)

at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:1142)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

at Temporary_607_9687.draw(Temporary_607_9687.java:203)
at processing.core.PApplet.display(PApplet.java:1326)
at processing.core.PGraphics.requestDisplay(PGraphics.java:520)
at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:1142)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2006, 7:09pm

By the way- it only happens when the screen is mouse clicked to change the effect, sometimes it doesnt happen the first time but after a couple of changes
Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2006, 8:49pm

ah, i see.. you can't use mask() the way you're using it.. you can't call mask() on the main drawing surface itself when you're using JAVA2D (which is the default mode). if you switch to size(500, 500, P3D) it may work the way you want.

also, there's no need to set variables called WIDTH and HEIGHT at the beginning.. just use size(500, 500) and then use the variables "width" and "height" throughout your program. that way when you hit export, it'll pick up the size you're using and properly write out the html file for you.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1