We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Data download requiring log-in
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Data download requiring log-in (Read 495 times)
Data download requiring log-in
Mar 15th, 2006, 1:32am

Hi there,

I am pretty new to computer programming generally, but I enjoy working with processing a great deal.

As part of a program I am hoping to write, I would like to be able to use processing to compile and display some rather simple data on past auctions on eBay using eBay's market research tool.  However, in order to be able to access market research on eBay, you must re-log in to your eBay account (even if you are already logged in).

Though I am unsure, I can see that there could be some ethical guidelines against this (I am, as I said, rather new).  But is there any general way to write a processing program that will input text into a text field of a webpage and then click the button?

Thanks for your help.
Re: Data download requiring log-in
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2006, 11:21am

To do what you describe, you're going to need a library that can make an HTTP request using POST.  You're also going to need to look at the ebay form that logs in, and pick it apart a bit to find out what data to send.

But since ebay has a developer site and a Java SDK, this is almost certainly against their terms and conditions.  If their API offers what you want, then it's best to go in through the front door Smiley

It should be possible to get the Java SDK working with Processing:

http://developer.ebay.com/java/

Re: Data download requiring log-in
Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2006, 1:26pm

Thank you very much for the help pointing me in that direction.  I'm going to go work on it.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1