We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentCore,  Processing Development Environment (PDE) › Found some simple optimizations - how to submit
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Found some simple optimizations - how to submit? (Read 1549 times)
Found some simple optimizations - how to submit?
Mar 13th, 2006, 3:08am

I'm developing a library to support large billboard particle systems, and as I was profiling, I found some low hanging fruit in PGraphics3.

Basically, several methods are creating temporary float[]'s. Because they are called so frequently in scenes with large numbers of polys, this can really add up. When I let my applet just sit there for 10 seconds of rendering, it added up to over 100MB of garbage objects.

I added some preallocated float[] vars to handle this, significantly imporoving performance. It looks like someone else has already done this for some other variables, and there are more of these to be found, I think.

I've never contributed before. Is there a procedure to submit modifications for review?

- Willis Morse
Re: Found some simple optimizations - how to submi
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2006, 4:43am

yikes, that's no good.. please email the patched code over to me at fry at processing.org and i'll see what's up.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1