We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Problem with string received over network.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Problem with string received over network. (Read 408 times)
Problem with string received over network.
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:56pm

I'm sending a string from EyesWeb to processing(103) over a network connection (localhost atm).  I was originally getting nothing but jargon which had out of range ascii characters displayed as strange characters and boxes.  I managed to convert my data in eyesweb more forcibly from a scalar to a string before sending it over the network and this got me to what I am recieving now:

"[][][][]123"

Which is great because now at least I am getting a readable sring with the number im sending through, however what are the [][][][] boxes? I couldnt paste them here as they are some sort of out of range ascii displayed as boxes so im just typing them here with square brackets.

I can't be certain that EyesWeb is sending just the string to processing as anyone who has used EyesWeb will know it's a strange and poorly documented beast.  So it may not be a problem at the processing end, but I have nowhere else to turn for help.
Re: Problem with string received over network.
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2006, 3:07pm

Personally I was sending Strings from EyesWeb to Processing with only numbers and colons as separators. There was no problem with that.

I'm not sure that EyesWeb would actually send a String of ASCII, technically it's unicode (two-bytes as opposed to one). There is a way to convert in Java, but I doubt that that is the problem. You could try it out though.

If you get really stuck you could always email the EyesWeb people and ask. They're friendly people when it comes down to it, they are open source after all and need the support and attention (bless).
Re: Problem with string received over network.
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2006, 6:32am

hey thx for the reply, I'll take a close look at your suggestions.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1