We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › "Present" on 2nd monitor
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
"Present" on 2nd monitor? (Read 1020 times)
"Present" on 2nd monitor?
Feb 20th, 2006, 4:04pm

I'd like to run P5 in "presentation mode" (eg: fullscreen) on a second display?

Can this be done? Right now, whenever I have two monitors attached to my Powerbook, P5 goes to the primary display (the attached LCD)...

Is this possible?  I'm presenting a piece that works in sort of a "Veejay" mode, where I'm entering cues that the sketch responds to. It would be nice to have a seperate Swing window hanging out on my primary display to give me basic stats about the state of the program (what cue number I'm on, etc), so I'm not flying entirely blind.  I can code that stuff no sweat, its just getting p5 to go "presentation" on the 2nd monitor that's troublesome.

If I absolutely have to, I can mirror displays, but then I lose the potential for a status display, which is less than optimal.

Thoughts?
Re: "Present" on 2nd monitor?
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2006, 6:33pm

it will eventually be exposed in the preferences panel, but for now you can manually change run.display in preferences.txt to do it.
Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2006, 2:09pm

Fry, you are my hero. Seriously. Your response time and willingness to help a n00b are inspirational.
Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2006, 12:41am

I assume this line right above the the run.display:

"# (this setting not yet completely implemented)"

means that changing this setting will not work for all computer configurations. I have three monitors and it always stays on number 1 no matter what I change run.display to.
Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2006, 1:03am

which preferences file are you changing? it sounds like you're changing the file that has this at the top:

# !!!!!!!! UNLIKE PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF PROCESSING !!!!!!!!!!
# DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE, OR DELETE SETTINGS FROM THIS FILE

# These are the default preferences. If you want to modify
# them directly, use the per-user local version of the file:

# Documents and Settings -> Application Data ->
#    Processing -> preferences.txt (on windows)

# ~/Library -> Processing -> preferences.txt (on macosx)

# ~/.processing -> preferences.txt (on linux)
Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2006, 8:16am

I am modifying the preferences.txt at this location ..\processing-0103\lib\.

I am running on windowsa XP and I do not have folder called Processing in my Application Data folder. - Should there be one?
Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2006, 1:56pm

right, so you're using the file that says:

# DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE, OR DELETE SETTINGS FROM THIS FILE

at the top. there should be a processing folder inside the location listed. note that the application data folder as listed there is by default an invisible folder on windows, which you may have set to hidden.
Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2006, 8:53am

thanks fry for that tip. its helped me a lot.

another related question... this works perfectly if your applets's size is easily changed to whatever size monitor/screen you've plugged into.

leaves me wondering how I could run a second full screen monitor at 320x240 or 640x480.

most monitors ive played with have a minimum setting(within windows) of 800 x 600.

a vj program i have called resolume is able to make my 2nd monitor run fullscreen at lower resolutions. i have no idea how it does this and am quite a newbie to all of this. any ideas on how processing could do the same?

thanks.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1