We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › Geomerative : geometry + generative
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Geomerative : geometry + generative (Read 1421 times)
Geomerative : geometry + generative
Feb 7th, 2006, 6:13pm

Hi,

Geomerative is an ALPHA version library I'm working on.  It's a geometry library that implements several data structures and algorithms in order to hold and manipulate vector graphics.

Some of the features:
- create polygons with multiple contours (holes, selfintersecting contours,...)
- binary operations between polygons (diff, add, xor, diff)
- create shapes with lines, quadratic and cubic beziers
- different segmentation methods for the shapes (adaptative resolution, uniform resolution, uniform arc length segmentation)
- import, render and access points of True Type fonts
- adapt text to shapes

WARNING:
The library is very young and might be full of bugs.
It is only a first approach and the API of the library is big, clungy and well... bad.
I need some feedback to see how people would like it.
This means it will change in future versions, so new versions of the library will be incompatible with older releases, that's why it's ALPHA version.
The documentation is very poor aswell, I'll work on it as soon as I get time.

The link to the library:
Geomerative

Then I would also like to present a project that might be useful for the users of the library:
Caligraft : computational calligraphies

It contains examples of use of the library and the sourcecode is available.

Hope it is helpful, cheers,

ricard
Re: Geomerative : geometry + generative
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2006, 12:31am

Wow, your beautiful Caligraft sketches make me really want to get my hands on your library!

I can't give you any constructive feedback yet, but it all looks very useful - especially the TrueType parser is something I've been looking for for a long time. Thanks!
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2006, 12:56am

Looks quite neat, but I'm actually even more curious how you did that preloader thing in the applet demos.

Marcello
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2006, 1:24pm

To Quasimondo:

thanks, can't wait to get some feedback (constructive or destructive, I try to take advantage of both, jejeje)

To cello:

for the OpenGL applets, have a look at:
this fantastic post on the forum

though it is still quite experimental, at least in my case it crashes the browser sometimes, but most surely it must be that there's something wrong with my library, I don't even know how to start debugging this though. Any ideas
Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2006, 5:49pm

Oh bummer, it requires the applet to be signed.  I was hoping the technique could be used for unsigned applet preloaders.  Will have to look into it when I have more time, though.
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2006, 6:23pm

Since the OpenGL bindings that java uses (JOGL) uses native code, and the user who views the applet might not have them installed, the loader that installs these native code libraries need to be signed.

With the new JOGL (which is still under developpement) the loader is part of the JOGL packages, is signed by Sun Microsystems Inc. and is trusted.  And the applet that uses the loader doesn't need to be signed.

I did a very shallow try of creating a new PGraphicsGL2.java, using the new JOGL packages, but I had no success.  Well, I must say I didn't try to hard.  If anybody get's a bit further in this issue, please, let me know, I'm interested.

Geomerative is great in OPENGL mode, since you can render many more triangles, and the tesselator it uses is not very efficient in this way.  Still usable with P3D, though.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1