We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › traer.physics version 2!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
traer.physics version 2! (Read 5927 times)
traer.physics version 2!
Feb 6th, 2006, 3:40am

new version of my particle system stuff at:

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~traer/physics

new stuff:
attraction/repulsion
kill particles with automatic deletion of associated forces
fast inverse sqrt
new examples
better docs

comments and suggestions appreciated.
Re: traer.physics version 2!
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2006, 12:00pm

Would it be possible to feed/ initalize your particle
system with vectors taken from a svg file or similar,
and then use these in a similar way to the tendril
sketch, where different tendrils would represent
different paths or some such. I'm not clear about this
at the moment, as the idea is rooted in discourse
around drawing, more than it is Physics.

I've emailed you with a smiliar question, but thought I'd offer it to the general community too!
Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2006, 12:38pm

I made a small variation of tendrils, which does something similar, but instead of SVG it uses glyphs as the feed.

Click on the applet to get focus and type characters with the keyboard:
chartendril

I currently don't have time but if someone could help making or recycling a SVG importer into Geomerative it could be possible to do what you propose, mark.

cheers
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2006, 9:19pm

Thanks. I've been availing myself of the necessary and have something sort of running using SVG import as you suggested.

I'll post up when it's tidied up.

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2006, 7:07pm

oooh that's nice ricard!
i have another version somewhere that adds another set of springs b/w every second particle which helps maintain the original shap a little more, it'd be neat to see what that looked like w/ the letters...
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2006, 5:14pm

hey traer!!
I'm having a look at your library and it's really fantastic.

I would very much like that other T3ndril class, if you find it please post it, and I'll try to hack up a new calligraphy to post it in Caligraft.
If you don't have it handy, let me know and I'll include myself the springs to every second particle.
Although I think that I'll have to work something a little bit more complicated, since characters with more than one contour will decompose, even if the contours keep their original shapes more or less.

I've done a new version of chartendril called stringdrils where I make complete words and they are only deformed when the mouse is pressed.
Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2006, 5:15pm

Oh! and by the way Mark Hill!!
let me know if you need any help with the svg importer, I would be more than glad to put in some effort on it.

thanks!
Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2006, 2:05am

Hi Ricard,

I've got the SVG importer working, and I've added strokeweights to it.

Also I've modded the AIExport to work with it too.

I implemented a follower array too and a proximity test for the heads of paths, so that a magnetize type of effect means you can pickup and shake off tendrils.

It won't applet at the mo' but I can send code if you want (bit rough at the moment, but functional).
Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2006, 5:43pm

I'm knocking up a new project with the library and I've discovered something a wee bit annoying. Java Swing also uses a class called Spring, so you can't import both at the same time. Is there perhaps a way around this?
Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2006, 6:22pm

you have to either not import javax.swing.* and just import the necessary classes specifically so that it doesn't pick up the Spring class, or you have to specify which one you want in the code by using the full package name instead of just the class name.. i.e.

javax.swing.Spring spring = new javax.swing.Spring()

or whatever...
Reply #10 - Jun 27th, 2006, 3:26pm

traer wrote on Feb 6th, 2006, 3:40am:
new version of my particle system stuff at:

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~traer/physics

Thanks traer for an excellent library!

One question so far: What is the license on your library - the last version you didn't include the source code. Is this the same LGPL as the rest of the core Can I redistribute this library
Reply #11 - Jul 5th, 2006, 5:55am

Ooops haven't looked back here in a while. Yeah sure redistribute, just maybe put a link to the page too so people who get it from you can get updates in the future if you don't keep up. Glad you enjoy it!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1