We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware Bugs › New to Processing on OS X
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
New to Processing on OS X (Read 1585 times)
New to Processing on OS X
Jan 30th, 2006, 8:23pm

Hello,

I found Processing through a link from ChucK, and was hoping that I might test it out running Mac OS X 10.3.9

I downloaded three versions, 0103, 0101, and 0099. When I double click on the application icon, the program starts up, but quits giving an error message that the JavaApplicationStub caused an error.

Do I need something else to run these? Is there another way of starting this up? What version of the OS do I need (10.4?)? What version of Java is required?

Thanks,

Mike
Re: New to Processing on OS X
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2006, 9:18pm

have you installed a pre-release or development version of java on your machine?

i develop processing primarily on an osx 10.3 and osx 10.4 machine so it should work pretty well..
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2006, 2:08am

Hi fry,

Thanks for your reply. I am not really sure which version of the Java stuff I need, so I am posting what gets printed out when I run...

> java -version
java version "1.4.2_09"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_09-233)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-56, mixed mode)
>

Is this sufficient? Do I need something "better"?

Thanks.

Mike
Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2006, 8:12pm

I checked out the requirements for Processing to make sure that I have everything needed, and it still crashes on my Desktop Computer (a G4). BUT, on my lap top, Processing starts up and presents the main window.

Now that I have this running, when I try to run any of the examples, I get an error message that appears to be a parsing error, as some of the classes listed are from 'antlr'. I can't give you a stack trace right at the moment, as I don't have access to my laptop. If this would help, I can make a dump of it tonight and send it tomorrow.

Thanks,

Mike
Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2006, 10:12pm

we'd need a dump to figure out what's going on. kinda sounds like you have a different version of antlr.jar somewhere on your system, and that's causing trouble.

for the g4, check the console to see what kind of errors you're getting.
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2006, 4:34pm

Thanks, I can't give you a dump right this moment, but if you know what version of Antlr I should have, I know that I do have it installed from a project that I was working on 2 years ago. Is it just the latest version?

Thanks,

Mike
Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2006, 4:34am

you should remove any other versions of antlr.jar from your extensions directory, as it is probably conflicting.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1