We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Curious error message
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Curious error message (Read 1304 times)
Curious error message
Jan 5th, 2006, 8:05pm

java.lang.RuntimeException: This file is named data not . Re-name it or change your code.

I am trying to track down why I get this error.  It is the result of doing some url scraping from flickr (I will get around to using their API eventually).  The code is a bit messy right now and I am trying to clean it up.  And in the process of cleaning, i have created this error message and I just dont understand it.  Can someone decipher without having the actual offending code in front of them?

r
Re: Curious error message
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2006, 9:21pm

using my skills of cross-town omniscience, i'll say that's meant to catch situations where you're using a file that's named something like poo.JPG but you're referring to it as POO.JPG in your sketch (this causes major headaches when posting sketches online, since web servers are capitalization-oriented, windows and macosx are not).

so my guess is that you're hitting a bug in the code that detects this situation. you might check to see what strings are being passed to loadImage() or openStream() to see if there's anything funny or any tips on where the bug might be. if loading from a url, however, it shouldn't be happening at all.
Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2006, 9:35pm

I am loading from URL.  The only thing I am loading that isnt from a URL is the font used in the project.  The part that puzzles me is that

1) it doesnt effect the running of the applet (or at least it doesnt seem to)
2) it happens kinda randomly in that sometimes, 4 images will load before I see the error but other times, it will throw the error on the first image, and
3) it wasn't doing it before... I made some changes, and the error appeared, and since these were sweeping changes, I dont know what one thing caused this problem.  But i will keep at it and post any findings.
Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2006, 10:33pm

just had a thought and went to go check it.. i think it might be that you're doing loadImage("") or openStream("") (meaning that the string is just empty). this produced a similar error for me.
Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2006, 11:09pm

Yeah, sigh.  I figured that out... which leads me to my next vague and shadowy issue.  

I fixed the loadImage("") problem... bad coding... but I swear to you, your mom, and the lord above that I made that fix twice already.  Is it possible that v99 has new problems with saving?  Probably not, I assume, cause I have been making many stupid errors (going from flash to processing and back, several times a day, plainly put, sucks).

But now the real issue.

Another exception has been detected while we were handling last error.
Dumping information about last error:

So, I was getting this error when trying to simply draw image to screen.  Not only do I have no idea what is causing it, cause that is all the error message says, but it actually crashes the applet.  I thought perhaps OPENGL not being upfront about some of its error messages could be the culprit, so I switched to the default renderer to see what the error is, and voila, no error and it works fine.  Preliminary thoughts?
Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2006, 4:07am

my guess would be that the image has something wrong with it, and opengl/jogl is just much more picky about rendering it than P3D is. i.e. is the image 0x0 pixels or something like that?

as for the saving issue, that shouldn't have changed, though how are you saving things? if you're using your own outputstreams you should be sure to flush() before closing so that you know everything's written. saveBytes() et al shoudl do this on their own.
Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2006, 11:59pm

hi,

Another exception has been detected while we were handling last error.
Dumping information about last error:

running in OPENGL mode, i get this error when i use another thread trying to draw in PApplet. code runs fine though in JAVA2D, P3D and default mode. blame it on the thread?

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2006, 12:29am

something is getting into jogl's way. when in OPENGL mode draw/opengl calls  from another thread should be avoided to prevent from crashing.

Code:

import processing.net.*;

int data;  
Client client;
Server myServer;

void setup() {
 size(200, 200,OPENGL);
 noStroke();
 myServer = new Server(this, 5204);
}

void mousePressed() {
 client.write("hi");  
}

void keyPressed() {
 client = new Client(this, "localhost", 5204);
 println(client.ip());
}

void draw() {
 background(0);
 rect(width/2 - 50, height/2 -50 , 100, 100);
}

void clientEvent(Client theClient) {
 println("### clientEvent");  
 ellipse(0,0,20,20);
}

Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2006, 3:24pm

fixed the error message for loadImage("") (or openstream, loadfont, etc for that matter) for release 0109.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1