We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Processing 1.0 And Java 2-D
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing 1.0 And Java 2-D (Read 951 times)
Processing 1.0 And Java 2-D
Nov 7th, 2005, 7:29am

Hello,
A few questions:

1.Are there specific areas where Processing 1.0 scores over Java 2-d?

2.On a related note Java 2-d has a concept of user coordinates and device cooordinates to ensure rendering on different devices. I noticed that Processing 1.0 seems to deal directly at the pixel level. Would this be a problem if i want to render on a different device?

3. I am in the process of evaluating what would be the best tool (or mix) for visualization of super contigs/contigs/reads. Is it an acknowledge fact that for this domain the level of graphics required is far more intensive than what Java 2-d can provide?

regards
Sameer
Re: Processing 1.0 And Java 2-D
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2005, 3:36pm

1) as of beta, processing uses java2d underneath by default, so it's simply a cleaned up implementation of the java2d api. as we get closer to 1.0, P2D will make its return which is faster than java2d. P3D is also faster than java2d, but is lower quality (no line joins, no smoothing). in using processing even as a layer on top java2d, it means that you don't have to write several lines of archaic code and create multiple objects just to draw a colored line with a specific thickness.

2) not really.. i render things for print all the time. i don't think the device coordinates thing would help much at all.

3) this is a useful sketching/prototyping language. i build things like what you describe all the time using processing. i recommend it as a way to get started with building an app, and once you've worked out some of the issues, you can decide whether it's time to move on to c++ or something like that. but it's been a while since i've had to make the jump, since i can get nearly everything i want done from within processing (or by using core.jar as part of another project).
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1