We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Drag and drop text - attach text to object/shape
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Drag and drop text - attach text to object/shape? (Read 845 times)
Drag and drop text - attach text to object/shape?
Oct 18th, 2005, 8:30pm

Hi, I've been looking and I can't find a way, I want to make some text drag-and-drop-able, how do I do that? Do I have to attach the text to some object or shape? If so how do I do that, and how do I make the object/shape transparent?

Thanks in advance,

Ganza
Re: Drag and drop text - attach text to object/sha
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2005, 7:00am

Create a class ( eg. draggableText ). Then set one of its functions to be to draw the text. Then you can add other functions like dragging.

Code:

class draggableText
{
float x
float y
draggableText()
{
x = 0
y = y
}
drag()
{
x = xmouse;
y = ymouse;
}
display()
{
text(x,y)
}
}
Re: Drag and drop text - attach text to object/sha
Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2005, 5:33am

The solution above is a reasonable offhand approach, but doesn't address the critical issue for dragging - knowing how much space the text takes up on the screen.  

In fact, There is not an easy, built in way to find out the 'rect' that contains the text.  If there was, a simple intersection test could be performed with the mouseX and mouseY and see if it was inside or outside a particular boundary.

Suggestions:
 -use textWidth(), textAscent(), and textDescent to determine the text boundaries.  (this is probably easiest with textAlign(LEFT), but, with a bit more calculation, it would be possible to do with textAlign(CENTER) or RIGHT).  

NOTE: this doesn't work if your text is more than one line.  Consider this example: (taken from the example in the documentation)

<code>
 PFont font;
 font = loadFont("FFScala-32.vlw");
 textFont(font, 32);

//this one works fine
 String s1 = "Tokyo";
 float s1w = textWidth(s1);
 text(s1, 0, 40);
 line(s1w, 0, s1w, 50);

//this one breaks
 String s = "Tokyo\nTokyo is big";
 float sw = textWidth(s);
 text(s, 0, 85);
 stroke(255);
 line(sw, 50, sw, 100);
</code>

Ideally, the textWidth() method should take the '\n' character into consideration, as well as have a sister method called textHeight(), which would take the '\n''s into account as well.

-There is also a nice text command that encloses the text in a box and does word-wrapping:
<code>
PFont font;
font = loadFont("FFScala-Bold-12.vlw");
textFont(font, 12);
String s = "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.";
text(s, 15, 20, 70, 70);
</code>
However, this one doesn't work so well if you have strings that change for some reason, so you don't know the height/width at all and you can't pre-define a rectangular boundary.  Sometimes you want to discover that boundary instead of defining it.

-(for anyone) Add a calculation method that takes 'rect'-style boundaries and an x,y coordinate, and returns true if the coords are in-bounds and false if not
<code>
boolean isInside(int x,int y, int width, int height, int xcoord, int ycoord) {
 if ((xcoord>=x)&&(xcoord<=x+width)
     &&(ycoord>=y)&&(ycoord<=y+height)) {
 return true } else {return false;}
}
</code>

Then you could use it like this:
<code>
color col=color(FF99CC);

void draw() {
 fill(col);
 rect(10,10,100,50);
}

void mousePressed() {
 // if the click happened inside the space
 if isInside(10,10,100,50,mouseX,mouseY) {
   col=(random(255),random(255),random(255)
 }
}
</code>

This code will make a kind of button you can click on.  See the above for how to make it drag around.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1