We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Running a p5 sketch from the command-line
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Running a p5 sketch from the command-line? (Read 866 times)
Running a p5 sketch from the command-line?
Oct 2nd, 2005, 3:58pm

I've  become fond of using JEdit to edit the java files that make up my more complex p5 sketches.  It gets kind of obnoxious to edit the source in jedit, then open p5 and press 'run', then remember that I have to close p5 and make changes in jedit then open it again, rather than just making tweaks in p5.  Is there any command syntax to start p5 from the command line, already running? So I could keep a terminal window open and just keep running whatever that command is when I want to test my work?
Re: Running a p5 sketch from the command-line?
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2005, 7:55pm

short answer is no.

but to do what you'd like, go to preferences and check "use external editor." then edit away in jedit, and each time you hit 'run' in processing, it'll reload the changes you've saved from jedit.

(lots of posts elsewhere on the board for how this will change in the future, why it's done this way, etc)
Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2005, 8:29pm

I'd like to use BBEdit as external editor (on OS X). But it seems that I can't open .pde files. Am I missing something obvious?

Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2005, 9:58pm

Ok, it works now. I just forgot to add the .pde suffix in language preferences.

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:57am

fry wrote on Oct 2nd, 2005, 7:55pm:
short answer is no.

but to do what you'd like, go to preferences and check "use external editor." then edit away in jedit, and each time you hit 'run' in processing, it'll reload the changes you've saved from jedit.

(lots of posts elsewhere on the board for how this will change in the future, why it's done this way, etc)

Thanks for the quick reply, Fry, and I'm sorry for the stupid question. I usually would RTFM/STFB, but I'm out of it this weekend. Freaking flu..
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1