We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware Bugs › Processing won't launch
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing won't launch (Read 546 times)
Processing won't launch
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:23pm

Today, when I tried to start up Processing on my laptop, it just didn't work. It has been working just fine until today. The laptop is a windows machine running XP Pro. When I try to start Processing, the little hourglass shows up next to my cursor as if its working on opening it up, but then it just goes away. In task manager, processing.exe shows up taking up about 2 megs of memory and then in less than a minute, it vanishes. I've tried re-downloading the whole package, running it from various places on my hard drive, but nothing is helping. I tried renaming the Processing folder in My Documents to see if Processing was getting far enough to create a new Processing sketch folder, but it never did.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Is there a solution?

Thanks,
Aaron
Re: Processing won't launch
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2005, 8:05pm

have you read the faq?
http://processing.org/faq/bugs.html#wontstart

my guess would be that you've installed something that junked up your PATH or CLASSPATH.
Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2005, 9:05pm

My CLASSPATH is: C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

For the Path variable, I have: %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\

That looks kinda nasty.

And maybe the QTJAVA environment variable is pertinent here: C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

I'm a little nervous about messing around with this stuff. Can you make any reccomendations, Fry?

Thanks,
Aaron
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2005, 8:11pm

weird, it looks like you've updated to quicktime 7, is that correct? but the QTJAVA variable isn't set correctly. do you have java installed on your machine? (try typing java -version into a command prompt and let me know what you get).
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1