We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › high resolution/large format
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
high resolution/large format (Read 964 times)
high resolution/large format
Sep 19th, 2005, 8:18pm

what's the best way to create/work with high resolution/large format images?

i'm sorry if this is a really stupid question - i basically want "enlarge" some little processing sketches i've done and print them out on a large format printer (i want to make some huge static images).

is there a good way to do this?

i ran into some memory problems (i think) when i just tried to make the display window really large and multiply the tasks (for example make 1000 lines compared to 100).

thank you very much.
Re: high resolution/large format
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2005, 11:18pm

Depending on the kind of drawing your doing...

Vector or bitmap images are available to you as options. I've even gone as far in extreme cases of vectorizing bitmaps.

Check the library page for postscript and illustrator exporting.

It really depends on the sketch in question, but you can employ a host of tricks.

Post some code if you have specific queries.
Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2005, 1:53pm

if you are on pc, you can edit the run.bat to increase the memory, but it will eventually run out.  casey once told me to just use code to shift the algorithem of whatever you are doing so that it saves multiple frames of one large image and stitch it together in photoshop.  it is much more efficient.  as for the the vector based stuff in illustrator, i did some tests and it could handle alot, but up your ram!  i was using a machine that had 2gigs and it was very slow.
Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2005, 3:10pm

You could create a virtual space and draw to that and save it. Then if you open up a small sized applet at the same time it will be very light on the machine.
Code:

PImage pic;
PGraphics3 gpic;
void setup(){
size(200,200,P3D);
pic = loadImage("11.gif");
gpic = new PGraphics3(100,100,null);
}
void draw(){
gpic.background(255);
gpic.rect(10,10,10,10);
image(gpic,0,0);
}
void mousePressed(){
pic.save("myPic.tif");
gpic.save("myGpic.tif");
}

PGraphics3 doesn't work however on 91 though. I just get a blue square.
Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2005, 4:02pm

I frequently use the large buffer method for generating larger than screen images, and then just blit bits of it to the display.

I guess there's no reason why a large buffer just couldn't be scaled to a small applet size as suggested above, as a kind of overview. Would probably slow things down, but could be a useful keypressed() {display thumbnail} type method.
Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2005, 10:17pm

st33d wrote on Sep 20th, 2005, 3:10pm:
PGraphics3 doesn't work however on 91 though. I just get a blue square.

Sounds like you probably forgot the call to gpic.defaults();
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1