We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Read local files and standalone player
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Read local files and standalone player (Read 695 times)
Read local files and standalone player
Sep 13th, 2005, 9:43am

I'm doing an applet that will run only locally, I'm able to load strings if I insert an absolut path "c:\...." is there a way to load files using a relative one?
Thanks to the code I found in the forum I'm able to run the applet double clicking the jar or the .bat, but of course on the computer there should be installed jre, is there any way to make it play also if the computer doesn't have the jvm? Espacially considering that I'm using opengl? I tried using the appletviewer.exe from command line, for instance, but wired things happened.
Does anyone know tricks about it?

Many thanks, chr
Re: Read local files and standalone player
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2005, 4:59pm

use loadStrings(), which will pull them from the .jar file or a local directory with a relative path.
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2005, 8:59pm

that rocks! it works perfectly on the server. But haven't I asked you already the same question while doing my flickr stuff? Smiley
Thanks a lot man anyway, any clue for the standalone "projector"?

cya, chr
Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2005, 4:47am

nah, in the future the standalone issue will be solved the same way as processing itself is bundled, that you'll be able to bundle the jvm along with it by having a subfolder called "java" that contains the runtime.

but in general, this is one of the annoyances of java, that the runtime keeps getting larger and more poorly supported by operating systems (at least on windows, macos has been doing better...)
Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2005, 9:50am

Ok, I can imagine the hassle.
Thanks a lot for the info.

Cya, chr
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1