We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Where do I find beginner resources
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Where do I find beginner resources (Read 1167 times)
Where do I find beginner resources
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:16pm

I have been attempting on getting some newbie help and it seems that I am not doing this in the right way because neither of the questions that I asked have been answered. I think that I have been as clear as I can be. I realize that there is a large amount of discourse created that probably discusses what I want to do but I just thought I could get some assistance in my experiments through the live users in this forum.

I am going through the examples and the tutorials on the site already and I am starting to have questions that aren't brought up in these excercises.

I am very interested in exploring this environment.

Thanks for anything.
Re: Where do I find beginner resources
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2005, 10:04am

Sometimes a reply is not immediately forthcoming, it really depends who is online and whether they are able to solve your particular problem.

My programming skills enable me to help a number of people in certain areas, but by and large I rely heavily upon other members of this forum for a lot of things I can't solve.

Some posts will just never be answered and I've no explanation for this, other than folk just can't answer it, or it would be too much of an undertaking.

The exhibition section is useful for finding code, also the old alpha board is full of stuff. Typing a number of different search terms often brings up results, and Tom Carden has a processing blog on the go.

I appreciate that not getting a response can sometimes be frustrating, especially when a solution is urgently required.
Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2005, 12:11pm

This is a difficult one.  

The first question you asked was hard, and complicated, and the answer requires multiple steps.   A good answer would require a lot of searching (which you could do yourself) unless the person answering knew where to find examples off the top of his/her head.  I attempted an answer in the thread itself, just now.

The second question you asked is just a "fix my problem for me" question, which involves running your code to find out what's wrong.  It doesn't have any comments, so it's hard to work out what you're trying to do.  You also commented out a big section of it - is that bit important or not?

Try cutting it down to the bare minimum code which doesn't behave like you expect.  Sometimes the process of doing this means that you find the problem for yourself.  But really, you shouldn't worry if a question you post isn't answered within a day - not many people check all the questions all the time Smiley

Another tip is to mark up your code with code tags.  In YaBB, they are a bit like HTML tags: <code> ... </code> except they use square brackets.

You might also find the board quiet because it's summer - there seems to be a flurry of activity when new academic courses start in September/October.
Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2005, 1:16pm

By the way It could be a good thing to put a little help about YaBB html-quotation. Intuition sometimes fails. I had the same problem.

As a beginner I know what means frustration. But there are a lot of ways to find what you are looking for, ones more elegant than others. If you can't continue try other way.
There is a lot of help here. All the people brings methods that can be used (studing and analyzing their examples). Make a glance at their sites.
Try GOOGLE too: http://www.google.es/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%22built+with+processing%22&me... ... 10.700 examples. Its hard to find what you want, but it's fun and... you learn!!

Has worked the translator
sh*it!!
Keep on.

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2005, 3:43pm

I really appreciate everyone's input on my question. Thanks for helping me and I will do some more research and post some more questions soon. I didn't think about people being away during Aug.(oops!) Anyway......
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1