We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Editplus and Processing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Editplus and Processing (Read 1502 times)
Editplus and Processing
Aug 6th, 2005, 12:10am

Hi,

Going through the Processing program folder, i see the jikes compiler. My question is: Is it possible to use the compiler via Editplus (or CMD in Windows) instead of the Processing editor, by passing the right flags/arguments ?

My speed of developing is way faster with Editplus since I am very much at home with it in Java and Actionscript. The ide for writing processing scripts is very basic and too clumsy to get used to Sad

For eg, to compile & view java applets I would do the following in Editplus:

Step 1. Set up user tool to compile:

Command: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5\bin\javac.exe

Arguments: "$(FilePath)"

with capture output selected

This compiles the .java file into a .class applet and places the compiled .class file in the same folder as the .java file. I see the compiled confirmation in the editplus output window

Step 2. To view this compiled applet, a second user tool is set up like this:

Command: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5\bin\appletviewer.exe

Arguments:
$(FileName)

with Close window on exit selected

This launches the applet viewer and I can see my work in the applet window.
---------------------------

The same is done for MTASC and I see the swf output via editplus. But so far I have not been able to do the same with Processing since I am not familiar with all the class path requirements of Processing. I see from the jikes -help that it needs the following:

-bootclasspath
-classpath
-d (the directory where to write class files to )
-extdirs (location of zip/jar files with platform extensions)
-O (optimize byte code)
-sourcepath

but I am not aware of what values to pass to these arguments??.. or for that matter, is jikes.exe the program that Processing uses to show the applet view when the "play" option is pressed in the Processing ide?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Navneet
Re: Editplus and Processing
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2005, 3:53pm

the short answer is no, because there is a bit of complexity to the processing build process. i may try to separate this out more in the future, but it's not slated for 1.0.

in the meantime, you can go to preferences -> use external editor, in which case you'll be able to edit the .pde or .java files in another editor, and then whenever you hit the run button, they'll be reloaded into p5 and load up just fine. this gives you the flexibility of using a better editor than the one that's built in.

jikes is only a replacement for javac, processing has its own preprocessor that converts some of the code to regular java (see other posts in this forum). and if you want to program just straight java, you can always use the processing api (add core.jar to your java project) and bypass the editor altogether. more posts on this elsewhere in this forum too.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1