We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware Bugs › Webcam scanlines
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Webcam scanlines (Read 5065 times)
Webcam scanlines
Apr 27th, 2005, 8:58pm

seem to be getting really bad scanline-like breakups in my webcam feeds from both of my camsnow that i switched to 085.  Never had this problem with 068.  Anyone else getting these and/or know how to fix it?  

Cameras:
iSight
Quickcam 4000

Computer:
Dual G5 2.5ghz with OSX 10.3.9

thx.
eRok
Re: Webcam scanlines
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2005, 2:13am

i've seen this though i thought we got rid of it. could you post an image that shows the problem?

i suspect that updatePixels() (used on the camera) may be running asynchronously in apple's version of java, which is causing some strange update bugs.
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2005, 5:10pm

Hey Ben,
Thanks for the quick responce.  The image tends to break apart any time there is any movement.  I have tryed endless combos of camera settings and code.  Even in the included video example i get the issue.  I posted my pics below.

Thanks again,
erick

http://www.o2creativesolutions.com/processing/webcam/
Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2005, 7:06pm

Not more forte, but did you try throwing in a delay(10) at the end of the draw loop, or perhaps set the applet's framerate?
Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2005, 7:27pm

bummer, that looks to be the same problem as before. it seems that macosx doesn't finish updatePixels() before drawing the video image to the screen, so we wind up with things half updated. i'll make a note in the bug db.
Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2005, 4:46pm

-flight404
Gave it a shot but had no luck.  Always seems to have the scanlines.  I got another question for ya though, I saw your work at FITC a couple weeks ago.  I was using griffin knobs to control my programs in 069 but now in 085 i can no longer get it to communicate directly to my apps.  I have to set it to global game mode where i cannot use long click or click and rotate.  You solve any of these problems  with your griffin knob work?
Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2005, 5:19pm

Since technically, I am not using the Griffin driver, I have not run into these issues.  I am using a library written to handle Griffin-to-Processing communication.

I hope to release the libraries soon, but the guy at Griffin that I had dealings with has since left, so now I need to convince the new guys that letting me release the library would help their business, not hurt it.  :/
Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2005, 6:23pm

Let me know if you need a tester for that library for it when you get close.  Use the griffin knobs all the time....love those friggin things.

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2005, 2:28pm

I had those scanlines as well and I thought the new video library was not as good as the one in 0068, but then I tried to use another renderer (fry recommended that in another thread) and I got rid of the scanlines.

basically:
size(320, 320, P3D);

try that.
Reply #9 - May 13th, 2005, 6:13am

I did the P3D trick, and tried OPENGL as well.... it chops the video at 45deg instead of horizontally. Although it does seem less frequent.

Can't wait for JMyron to work on v9.

C
Reply #10 - May 14th, 2005, 10:18am

just started playing with processing and video grabs. using the scan line script I have one major problem of when the script, by either mouse click or automatically, any video after this is covered with scanlines.

It looks great but not what I want ...

example:

http://www.rickler.com/barcelona_2005.htm
Reply #11 - Jul 28th, 2005, 4:29pm

this may have been fixed in rev 91, but if not, it's filed away here:
http://dev.processing.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=114

if anyone on os x could test its current status and add their results to the bug db, that would be helpful too.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1