We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › compiling saveFrame() images into a .mov or vid
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
compiling saveFrame() images into a .mov or vid (Read 2755 times)
compiling saveFrame() images into a .mov or vid
Jul 9th, 2005, 3:11am

hi all-
not sure if this is the right sub-forum to ask but thought id give it a shot anyway:
i built a drawing program which saves a frame every time i press down to draw something. i was hoping i would be able to then make a sort of animation going through every saved frame and make it into a .mov, .mpg, or .avi. does anyone know of an easier way to do this that manually dragging every single .tif into Premier/Final Cut/Flash?
any help or wisdom is appreciated
steve
Re: compiling saveFrame() images into a .mov or vi
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2005, 5:53am

If you save the files numerically e.g. frm_0001.tif, frm_0002.tif, frm_0003.tif, .., frm_####.tif you should be able to import them in an ordered block into most animation programs.
Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2005, 10:54am

Here's one I've been using.

Importing into Quicktime means you can set the frame rate.

Code:

int frame, rate_total;
int saveonframe=10; // saves every nth frame
int saveTotal;

void loop() {

// code here...

if(frame ++ % saveonframe == 0) {

save("prefix-"+saveTotal+++".tga");
rate_total += framerate();
}
}

public void stop() {

println( rate_total / (frame / saveonframe) + " fps");
super.stop();

}

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2005, 7:02pm

thanks for your help. there are still two things i'm not clear on:
1) what is 'super' (as in super.stop() in your code)? i couldn't find it in the Processing dictionary.
2) will this only allow me to play my frames in Quicktime, not actually save/export them? i have free Quicktime, not the one with all the editing features, Quicktime Pro or whatever its called.
does anyone know what other animation/video editing programs allow you to dump all your numbered and ordered images in at once and automatically play through them?
thanks!
steve
Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2005, 1:21am

Quote:
1) what is 'super' (as in super.stop() in your code)? i couldn't find it in the Processing dictionary.

'super' refers to the class that this class extends.  in this case, 'this class' refers to PApplet, processing's main class, which extends the class Applet.

so 'super.stop()' is calling the stop() method of the Applet class, which basically just says 'stop this applet'.

the only reason mark has this stop() function here is to override PApplet's version with one that prints the total number of frames saved.  it's totally optional.

Quote:
2) will this only allow me to play my frames in Quicktime, not actually save/export them?

without qtpro, you can't export.  qtpro is cheap tho, i think it's like $50.  and easy to get, there should be a 'register' or 'buy' option (or something like that) in Quicktime Player help.

another program you can use is After Effects.  there are definitely others, maybe look on http://tucows.com (PC) or http://versiontracker.com (mac).  can iMovie do this?  i dunno...
Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2005, 2:37pm

stlitt wrote on Jul 9th, 2005, 7:02pm:
does anyone know what other animation/video editing programs allow you to dump all your numbered and ordered images in at once and automatically play through them

what would the world be like without open source, huh for windows, try this fabulous tool: http://virtualdub.org/
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1