We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › processing mobile
Pages: 1 2 
processing mobile? (Read 6067 times)
processing mobile?
Jul 6th, 2005, 10:35am

hi!

I've just seen " http://mobile.processing.org (coming soon)" in the homepage, and was wondering about its status. I searched here but found nothing, so...

anyone that could give us some hope about this? Smiley

thanx a lot.
Re: processing mobile?
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2005, 9:34pm

The status is "it works" but the website documenting the project is not yet complete. When the site is complete, it will be launched. Processing mobile is in an early stage of development and it doesn't yet include all the features people will want, but it working well. It's developed by Francis Li, a mobile game developer in San Francisco.
Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2005, 11:59am

HI,

is there a release date for a beta verion known?

cu
Tschdaeff
Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2005, 5:01pm

I'm expecting the alpha release in August.  Casey
Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2005, 5:15pm

Nice!

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2005, 5:50pm

What phones are going to be supported? (on the lookout for a new one so would be handy)
Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2005, 12:27am

also on the lookout for a new phone.  would also be interested in which ones are to be supported.  thx
Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2005, 12:32am

The initial release of Processing Mobile will target the base CLDC 1.0/MIDP 1.0 platform configuration of J2ME, which should be almost any Java phone.

However, some phones are more open than others in allowing direct transfer of applications to the handset.  Generally speaking, I would go for the Nokias, Sony Ericssons, and Motorolas, most of which allow cable and/or bluetooth transfer of applications directly to your phone.

Other brands like Samsung, LG, Sanyo, etc have usually been more closed and can only receive new applications over-the-air (OTA), which is a hassle because it requires uploading your app to a server, then paying the airtime $$$ to download it.

Francis
Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2005, 11:30am

i think my nokia 6230 will be able to work with it... i hope so.

but is there now known a release date?

cu
Tschdaeff
Reply #9 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 1:48pm

we're nearing the end of august, how about some more info to whet our appetites? i want to see if i can port my current j2me webservice client to run on it.
Reply #10 - Aug 27th, 2005, 9:30am

Indeed. I am also quite curious about this. Question, what capabilities do the phones have relative to 'regular' processing, and what libraries will work /wont work?

Im curious about whether or not the java sandbox will let one make tcp/ip connections at all (with a signed applet..). Do phones with java even support outgoing tcp??? Whats a good overview of the capabilities we can expect to have with most phones, as im pretty clueless about them..  also, whats the workflow?

idly curious;
Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2005, 4:01am

bsr, i should have learned years ago never to put a date on a processing related release. the release has been coming along well. i'll update the thread when i have more tangible information. sorry to build false expectations.
Reply #12 - Sep 8th, 2005, 8:06pm

What about a PSP (playstation portable) support ? Wink
Reply #13 - Sep 9th, 2005, 1:02am

what are the details on java support for the PSP?
Reply #14 - Sep 9th, 2005, 8:06pm

It was just a joke, there is no java support (for the moment) but a Lua player has been released (http://www.luaplayer.org/). I hope a PSP JRE will be available soon!
Pages: 1 2