We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware Bugs › Internationalization
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Internationalization (Read 812 times)
Internationalization
Jun 29th, 2005, 2:40pm

Some characters, i note french and german characters in particular, don't seem to display at all when using text():
èéüöç¿Ç
and a host of others
using a standard font via createFont on MacOSX Tiger 10.4.1 java vm is 1.4.2
Re: Internationalization
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2005, 4:29pm

those should be working, what font are you using? have you tried clicking the "all characters" box in "Create Font"?
Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2005, 10:33pm

Hi,
My Bad, there was something wrong with the way the text was being display, for some reason certain characters got chopped.
I rewrote the code , and started to use an external editor, now it's working.
Another strange thing was that the recompile didn't work, no matter what code i used, only the first code in the sketch ever made it to the applet jar. till i started using the external editor?
Could well be my install, though i haven't restarted or anything.
On another note, i can't get the param() to work, i'm calling it during setup, is this the right place to call it?
thx
very nice program by the way
Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2005, 12:53am

in general, you shouldn't have non-ascii characters like that in your code, that you should instead use their "unicode escape sequences", which is something like "\uXXXX" where the XXXX is the four digit hex code of the unicode version of the character (google outta turn up a list of them), otherwise you're gonna get weirdness as you move between platforms. it's a pain but it's the proper way to keep things internationalized.

for other followup regarding how to do this, you can do it in the "syntax" section of the site. same for your param() issue, i'm gonna close this thread since it turns out not to be a bug.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1